Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

css and html editor

5 Posts   1087 Views

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 109 Posts

12 August 2009 at 2:22am

I've looked a couple times and maybe I missed this, but does SS not have a template (html/css) editor built in to the CMS or as a module like wordpress or expression engine does?

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

12 August 2009 at 3:09am

Hi
Could you clarify what you mean by that? Or maybe post a link to these modules you speak of?
SilverStripe does have a WYSIWYG Editor, but I'm not sure if it's what you are talking about..

Terry Apodaca

12 August 2009 at 6:13am

ok, lets see if I can explain this a little better.

WordPress is a lot like SilverStripe in that they both have a main templating system. You can then create or reuse Themes for your site layout. The difference in the two is that WP has a section inside the CMS where you can actually modify your theme's code. It has an internal editor where you can physically edit the html and/or css and save it. Only to the theme files though, in case you want to add a widget to the sidebar, etc. You can see a listing of all the files that make up the theme, and edit them.

Terry Apodaca

12 August 2009 at 6:17am

Here's a screenshot of their CMS where they can edit their theme from right there inside the browser.

Attached Files
banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

12 August 2009 at 7:13am

Ah. I see what you mean.
I'm quite sure there isn't such a thing for SilverStripe. It should be possible to write such a module, but I doubt the usefulness. Editing CSS/HTML is usually much more comfortable in a designated editor. And with a SilverStripe site, you usually also have access to the files (FTP) which might not be the case with a Wordpress installation. For content that's changing a lot, one can build editing capabilities inside the CMS without messing with the template files.

For people who want full site administration/modification possibilities via web-browser, such a module could be a useful thing though :-)