Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe Errors

Go to End

6 Posts   1522 Views

BruceG

Community Member, 29 Posts

12 August 2009 at 6:01pm

I'm having a few problems with silverstripe and the CMS with errors that I don't understand. Also have found that the site doesn't function properly when viewed using Chrome and won't even open when viewed with firefox.
Is it possible for one of the SS team to help me determine whether it's an SS problem, a CMS problem, a webhost problem or a problem with the operator (me in this case).
In anticipation

BruceG

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

12 August 2009 at 7:15pm

Hi

I think it would help a lot if you would tell us what these errors are that you're getting. If no errors show up, try to add the following in mysite/_config.php

Director::set_environment_type("dev");

If you get a blank page, look for errors in the webservers php error log (only when it happens in all browsers, otherwise it's not a php issue). For more information about debugging SilverStripe, read here: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=debugging

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

13 August 2009 at 9:48am

Edited: 13/08/2009 9:49am

I'm sure if you go through SilverStripe Ltd Suppoert, they'll be willing to help for $$$ ;P - but post the error and you'll probably get the solution for frees.

Btw, I've seen this before where xhtml is specified but something else is supplied - in which case, I'd put money on it being your theme [ie Templates] causing the issue.

BruceG

Community Member, 29 Posts

13 August 2009 at 10:01am

Thanks Hamish
Nobody want to spend any $$$ do they - is that why there is very little response from the SS people??

Anyway - last night I reverted back to the blackcandy theme and voila - working in all three browsers.
I guess when I did the mods to the theme I was using I made some errors of some sort.

So you were exactly right with the problem being the theme.

I guess I don't know enough to be tinkering under the hood. As they say " a little bit of knowledge can be a bad thing"
Back to the tutorials eh?

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Regards
BruceG

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

13 August 2009 at 10:18am

I think they're just busy working on the core, fixing bugs, providing free infrastructure, etc. But, like I said, post the actual error and we (the community) will try to help.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 August 2009 at 6:03pm

BruceG please be a bit more detailed in your posts which what is broken?, what you are seeing, what you are not seeing etc. Then we might be able to provide a solution.

Taking a stab in the dark you may have not uploaded / extracted all the files correctly so maybe try redoing that.