Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Broken Password Reset Link in Email Template

Go to End

3 Posts   3434 Views

cliersch

Community Member, 75 Posts

28 August 2009 at 3:37am

Edited: 28/08/2009 3:47am

When using the "I've lost my password" function I have got some trouble with the E-Mail Template ForgotPasswordEmail

The used code for the Password reset link is sometimes broken:

<p>Here is your  <a href="http://mydomain.de/Security/changepassword?h=13cezygp9j1
w87kk0wwc0w844">Passwort-Reset Link</a> für http://mydomain.de.</p>;

The send link will not work correctly because of the line break inside the received code.
It's not able to click it inside the mail.
I used different email Clients - some are showing the link correctly - some show the broken version.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

28 August 2009 at 9:52am

This has to do with the encoding of an email when it is outbound and the particular client used to view it. RFC 2045 states that the standard MIME encoding line length maximum is 76. Many email encoders will change this which sometimes causes corruption.

Have you checked the message source to see if it is correct as it comes out of the SMTP server to the recipient? If it is broken perhaps some changes need to be made to the mail code or php mail() settings.

Otherwise, it is a client issue in that it is splitting lines after a certain length. There isn't really a solution to that problem that I have to offer. I would change the template to include the text of the link with copy like "If the below link doesn't work copy and past it into another browser window". That is pretty standard practice in the email game.

Also a total aside, I've had to trace problems on both sides of email sending before. You would be amazed what kind of errors Gmail will find, identify, and fix that are totally transparent to users. I can only imagine that other web based and standalone clients do.

cliersch

Community Member, 75 Posts

2 September 2009 at 6:46am

Hi dalesaurus,
thank you for replay. It's really a problem of the recipients server. But there isn't a real solution.

Guess I have to explain how to copy and past the link into the browser. But it's not very satisfyingly for a registration process.