Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Sitewide content (snippets)

Go to End

2 Posts   1230 Views

Jono

Community Member, 1 Post

5 September 2009 at 2:34am

Hello

I have just started using SilverStripe, I really like it but their is one thing I'm really struggling to get my head around. The site I'm building has 3 promotional panels at the bottom of the page. The client would like to be able to add and remove promotional panels from a master list and then on each page of content select which 3 promotional panels display on that particular page.

I have figured out how on page contents to add three drop downs to choose the promotional panels, what i can't figure out is what is the best approach to store these and maintain them? Do you create a page e.g. 'Promotions', set it not to show in nav and then add sub pages for each of the promotions? Do you use the ModelAdmin? Is their something else I can use?

Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Jono

zenmonkey

Community Member, 545 Posts

5 September 2009 at 11:13am

Well you could use the DataObjectManager.

Add a DataObjectManager (DOM for short) to your Page class that would contain the Promos. Then have your drop downs pull from that DataObject. This would save you creating the promos in the tree.