Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

merits of silverstripe v wordpress

Go to End

10 Posts   7269 Views

willymckay

Community Member, 1 Post

7 September 2009 at 8:27pm

Edited: 17/06/2010 4:22pm

Hi there all,
my first time here and am just"finding my feet".

I would like to ask all the silverstripe users of the advantages you may feel it has over the use of the wordpress format.
Am a beginner and want to start out right.Welcome any feedback from any informed individuals.
Thanks in advance,
Willy

sbaldry

Community Member, 2 Posts

12 June 2010 at 8:09am

Edited: 17/06/2010 4:22pm

Hi,

I'm a newbee too with the same request really.

I too have a setup a Wordpress site based on and would like to the advantages and disadvantages of Silverstripe compared to Wordpress.

Many Thanks

Steve

inCharge

Community Member, 102 Posts

16 June 2010 at 9:11am

Edited: 17/06/2010 10:35am

SilverStripe is much easier to use for the person who edits the website

- Pages are displayed in a tree control that replicates the website structure, making it much easier to locate the page they want to edit

- When they edit a page, the CMS displays the controls required for that template, instead of them having to know which custom fields to create. The controls are also the correct type (text, HTML, date, image, link etc) instead of text only.

When a web developer is selecting a CMS for their non-techie client, those two things alone are enough to choose SilverStripe over WordPress.

If you already have a site and you're happy with wordpress, I don't know why you'd switch. You didn't say why you are looking around for a new CMS. What are your reasons?

Greg1

Community Member, 28 Posts

16 June 2010 at 10:58am

They are just spamming, ignore them.

inCharge

Community Member, 102 Posts

17 June 2010 at 1:38am

Yes, probably spam because they are careful to give their links, but not careful to give any other useful information whatsoever.

However, it is a good question, and what if a genuine potential SIlverStripe user reads this post and thinks we don't care about them, because there is no reply? These messages should either be deleted or answered. I would delete them, but I don't have permission.

TotalNet

Community Member, 181 Posts

17 June 2010 at 9:43am

Either way, it was a very good reply Jules. Thanks.

I have clients using various different CMS solutions and they get worn down by poor usability, bad performance and even worse implementations (often without ongoing support). So, when I chime in with "SilverStripe is easy to use, flexible and powerful" the response is often "Yeah, Right!"

I don't have time to get to know every CMS intimately so rely on client feedback (always positive in favour of SS) but a direct feature/usability comparison is nice to see.

Perhaps if the offending links were removed, or another topic started, an (unofficial) honest comparison between popular CMSs would be useful to a few people making a decision about which CMS to go for. Or is there a topic on this already?

Cheers

Rich

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

17 June 2010 at 4:53pm

Links have been removed. I think you Jules post is good enough to leave the thread up.

My 2cents - While Wordpress and SilverStripe are both CMS's, SilverStripe is much more a framework for building sites / applications rather than managing sites. WP gives you easier controls but SilverStripe is much nicer to extend.

Both systems (if fact all CMS's) have advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to say ones 'better' because it just depends on what you need to do. I work deeply with both and while SilverStripe does have some hurdles (you must have a fair grounding in OOP and PHP) once you get over those you can do some really cool things with it and its getting a bit more attention now, more attention = more developers and cooler features.

With SilverStripe vs WP my main advice is get involved. Forum, IRC and bug tracker are all good places to get a 'feel' for the SilverStripe way!. If you have never written PHP code before it also pays to be in the mood to learn!

britishpacific

Community Member, 4 Posts

22 October 2010 at 6:56pm

Would you guys say that due to Wordpress's dominance in the marketplace, that there are more plugins available than there are for SS?

Go to Top