Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

IE6 freezes when creating page on version > 2.3.1

Go to End

4 Posts   1219 Views

woodb2

Community Member, 48 Posts

1 October 2009 at 3:06am

I know IE6 isn't officially supported, but I'm in a very large company and that is all our IT department allows. I upgraded a couple of internal sites from 2.3.1 (which works perfectly) to 2.3.3 in order to take advantage of the userforms 2.0. When you login to admin and click the create button, IE6 freezes and you have to end task to get out of it. The search and batch actions button (right next to it) work, but not create. I tried 2.3.2 (the minimum required for userforms 2.0) and it hangs it to. I also tried the Sept 30 nightly build and it hangs too. I've tried this on a couple of other computers within the company and they all hang so it's not just my computer.

Am I forever stuck on 2.3.1 or is there something anyone can think of that might fix this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Brian

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

1 October 2009 at 10:01am

"...I'm in a very large company and that is all our IT department allows"

Rant: Your IT department should be fired. It amazes me how many large companies won't upgrade out of shear laziness. I can understand not upgrading from XP to Vista in the knowledge that Win7 is just around the bend, but we're two generations down the line from IE6 and there are so many security/usability/performance reasons to shift. The usual excuse is that major vendors have not upgraded their solutions yet - which simply delays and intensifies the problem they're going to have when you have to upgrade to a new OS, or other vendors stop supporting the IE6osaurus altogether.

Obviously you know all this already, and have the unenviable task of trying to innovate while restrained by a head-in-the-sand IT policy.

Honestly, I think that yes you are stuck with 2.3.1 - but you need to let the right people know that this IT policy directly impacts the security, re-usability and cost of code you (or anyone else, for that matter) are producing. Of course, it's unlikely to change anything, but at least you cover your backside a bit.

zenmonkey

Community Member, 545 Posts

1 October 2009 at 3:50pm

Hey Hamish my friend, who works for a National Bank that still runs 5.x at work. Sure its custom Rolled by MS but its still 5.x.

woodb2, what about the new Chrome Plugin? Can you sneak that past your IT dept?

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

1 October 2009 at 7:28pm

It's not the whole Company that is going to access the SilverStripe CMS, is it? Why not ask the responsible IT Guy to make an exception and install Firefox on the computer(s) that need to be able to enter the CMS? Or install portable Firefox (http://portableapps.com/) on a USB Stick and run it from there...
Either way, you should check with the IT dept first, or you might take a risk to get fired.