Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Moving to SilverStripe

Go to End

2 Posts   828 Views

bluevibe

Community Member, 1 Post

8 October 2009 at 10:10pm

Hi!

I work in a webdesign company where we're concidering starting to offer an Open Source CMS solution to our clients, and we've narrowed it down to SilverStripe.

What I'm wondering is how you've experienced using SilverStripe over time?

Are upgrades an issue? Does it take a lot of work when you have multiple sites to do it on, does it break modules, widgets, translations?

Have an upgrade ever suddenly been so drastic that you have to completely redo a site?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this! :)

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

9 October 2009 at 12:40am

Edited: 09/10/2009 12:40am

>What I'm wondering is how you've experienced using SilverStripe over time?

I love it ! Sure there are still some important issues to tackle (e.g. performance on large sites / URL hierarchy) , but all in all it is by far the most elegant Open source platform I know.

>Are upgrades an issue? Does it take a lot of work when you
>have multiple sites to do it on, does it break modules, widgets, translations?

Yes, it takes quite a bit of work to upgrade every separate site and you might experience some modules and/or widgets breaking down , but in my experience it mostly concerns fixing details / changing some config settings. It is nowhere near the problems you'll have with Mambo / Joomla and the like.

>Have an upgrade ever suddenly been so drastic that you have to completely redo a site?

Nah. And I don't expect that to happen in the future, since the core code is clean , well kept and based on a good (extensible) architecture.