Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Overriding default translation tables.

sphire

Community Member, 6 Posts

8 October 2009 at 10:26pm

Edited: 08/10/2009 10:34pm

Hi there,

the situation is as follows: SilverStripe assumes user credentials to consist of an email address and a password. That is fine for sites with various users but often not quite relevant for sites with a closed group of editors. So, to make it a little less confusing I’d like to go with username and password which is not a technical problem as the email field accepts non-email strings anyway.

Now I want to update the language files to reflect this change, e.g.
$lang['de_DE']['Member']['EMAIL'] = 'Benutzername';

The problem seems to be, however that my custom language file (in mysite/lang/) gets included before the core’s. Thus, my custom setting gets overriden by the default one. Obviously I could just change the core but I don’t consider that a particularly good option.

So, is there a reason for the way this works? Are there workarounds?

Any help would be appreciated.

..Philipp

UPDATE: An easy—if not very elegant—workaround apparently is to create a module with a name that is lexicographically “greater” than “sapphire” and put the language file there (which also seems to indicate that this was not a conscious design decision).