Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

What web platform would you recommend for running Silverstrip?

Go to End

3 Posts   1261 Views

Joker

Community Member, 5 Posts

19 October 2009 at 7:08pm

I'm currently running IIS5.1 on my Windows XP development machine. And it's been highly frustrating getting Silverstrip working.

But some of the documentation and so on implies that Apache may be a more "native" webserver to run Silverstrip on.

What is your opinion? Would I be better to run Apache?

Especially since I would like to run sub sites... And get the URL rewrite working...

Thanks.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

19 October 2009 at 7:47pm

Since you are on a windows xp machine I recommend wamp http://www.wampserver.com/en/ or xampp (both apache) for developing with silverstripe. Both of those are popular so SS is usually well tested on those platforms and they include all the mods which make out of the box setting up much more straight forward. Or try upgrading to IIS7.0 - runs alot more stable on that compared to 5.1.

Joker

Community Member, 5 Posts

19 October 2009 at 8:23pm

I'll give WAMP a go...

I would upgrade to IIS7 but I can't find any way to upgrade. As far as I can see, IIS7 is only available on Windows Server 2008. And I think similar for IIS 6. So it looks like since MS have decided to not allow us to upgrade IIS on XP then I guess another, better web server is the goer. Probably a good idea in any case since I'm starting to need to do things that IIS on XP just can't do.

Thanks.