Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Newbie: Sure would appreciate some advice!

Go to End

2 Posts   1546 Views

mlapierre

Community Member, 1 Post

6 November 2009 at 9:30am

Hi all,

I've just recently heard about SilverStripe and have spent some time looking through the Showcase, extensions, etc. I've seen some great looking sites and am wondering if this might be what I've been looking for.

Here's the situation:

I'm trying to set up a site about Geo/Chevy Trackers & Suzuki Sidekicks and have made a very rough start using Wordpress. You can see what it looks like here: http://Tracker-SidekickHq.com. It's still needs a ton of work to get to where I want it.

One of the main things that I would like to do is have a photo gallery that users can upload their pictures to and, ideally also add comments.

I'm not super techie. I can put together simple websites with Frontpage and other software and understand the basics of HTML & tables and stuff like that. I can do simple graphics (the header is one that I put together) and I can find my way around a cpanel and install simple scripts, but that's about where it ends.

These are the specific questions that I have.

1. Could I expect to be able to put together a site in SilverStripe - without having to do the equivalent of taking a Phd degree? I know that there will be a learning curve and that's normal, but I guess what I'm wondering is do I have sufficient skillsets to build on so that the process won't be all that difficult.

2. Is there a module or extension that I could use (singly - Or in combination) that would enable me to offer the gallery capabilities to users?

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Make it a Great Day!

chrisdarl

Community Member, 33 Posts

6 November 2009 at 9:45am

I found SilverStripe pretty easy to learn, follow the tutorials (think there's 5 of them). Gives you a good start on how to use SilverStripe.

There is a module called ImageDataObjectManager, created by UncleCheese. Which I think you may be able to adapt to use on the front end. Alternatively, you can create your own form and do things that way.

Good luck!