Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Accessing GET Variables

7 Posts   3961 Views

inkubux

Community Member, 11 Posts

6 November 2009 at 4:26pm

What is the best way of accessing the Get variables in my controllers. Do I have to use the $_GET suerglobal. Is the $_GET superglobal is sanitized by the framework?

I could'nt find any documentation on this.

Thanks for you help

youngmug

Community Member, 19 Posts

6 November 2009 at 5:12pm

You probably want [url=http://api.silverstripe.org/sapphire/core/HTTPRequest.html]HTTPRequest[/url].

inkubux

Community Member, 11 Posts

7 November 2009 at 4:21pm

Thanks, I knew about the HTTPRequest, I just didn't knonw how to access it i a controller.

Now I fint it $this->request.

I feel stupid but I couldn't find it anywhere in the docs.

Is there some docs about sapphire the framework ?

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

8 November 2009 at 10:34pm

Edited: 08/11/2009 10:34pm

It'll be passed to the action, eg:

function action($request) {

$var = $request->getVar('q');

// ... do stuff
}

Usually the best documentation for sapphire is [url]http://api.silverstripe.org[/url]

yurigoul

Community Member, 202 Posts

8 November 2009 at 10:38pm

I'm not sure if it helps but here is a snippet I picked up somewhere and adapted. It is for showing a bunch of pages on another page:

/**
* Get the latest n news articles, allowing us to get more
* @return DataObjectSet|false The DataObjectSet of the news articles you're looking at or boolean false if there aren't any articles
*/
function PortfolioItems() {
if(!isset($_GET['start']) || !is_numeric($_GET['start']) || (int)$_GET['start'] < 1) $_GET['start'] = 0;
$SQL_start = (int)$_GET['start'];
$doSet = DataObject::get(
   $callerClass = "PortfolioPage",
   $filter = "`ClassName` IN ('PortfolioPage')",
   $sort = "'Created', 'DESC'",
   $join = "",
   $limit = "{$SQL_start},5");

return $doSet ? $doSet : false;
}

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

8 November 2009 at 10:46pm

Just to answer the OPs question: There's nothing wrong with using the $_GET superglobal. It isn't being sanitized by the framework, so you'll have to take care of that yourself. Have a look at the Convert class, it provides some handy conversion functions.
You could also use the HTTPRequest object, but AFAIK this isn't sanitized either.

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

8 November 2009 at 11:02pm

Just FYI it is desirable to avoid directly using the $_GET superglobal as it causes all kinds of bugs and inconsistencies when requests are programatically generated rather than initiated directly by the server - such as in testing or static publishing.