Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Site with page amount > 1000

Go to End

9 Posts   3762 Views

rainerh

Community Member, 23 Posts

15 November 2009 at 10:05am

Hi folks,

I am currenty migrating from a self-made CMS to SS. Since the old system is in production since 2002 there are approximately 1400 pages which had to be imported. That worked all fine but now the backend takes more than 30 seconds to load the sitetree. That is - for obvious reasons - unacceptable. Futher more I had to increase the memory limit which was already at 256MB.
As far as I know the main bottleneck is the Hierarchy decorator. Are there some solutions available to speed things up? For example I doubt that it is really necessary to load the complete Sitetree at once.
-) Since the pages are distributed in many folders it would make sense if those are loaded if the user expands the folder.
-) The approach of the forum module, namely to create an own datatype for the posting which does not inherite from SiteTree is out of question since the pages must be treated. as... well as pages :) .

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and keep up your good work!

Dave L

Community Member, 60 Posts

15 November 2009 at 10:52am

I don't have SS experience with sites this large, but thought I'd mention 2.4 is supposed to improve things for large sites. So you might be interested in downloading the 2.4 alpha.

http://www.silverstripe.org/silverstripe-2-4-alpha-release-brings-hierachical-urls-sql-server-support-and-much-more/

inkubux

Community Member, 11 Posts

16 November 2009 at 5:48am

Edited: 16/11/2009 5:50am

I'm also interested in this, since I have ahuge site to migrate from an old made cms, and we wanted to make it silverstripe.

We have over 2000 pages. Over 5000 news Items and almost 2gig of assets PDF, Images etc.

Now That I hear this. I'm wondering If Silverstripe will handle this well.

Let me know If you try 2.4 and if things are better.

Thanks.

rainerh

16 November 2009 at 6:05am

Hi there,

to make things clear: As I said the problem is the generation of the sitetree in the backend. The frontend runs fine. I guess one has to modifiy the sitetree or at least create some kind of partial loading as I mentioned above.

Greetings

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

17 November 2009 at 5:40am

I've seen discussion related to this before and it is a known issue with 2.3. Since the entire tree is generated and pushed back out as a list it can be unwieldy for the browser to handle.

I know replacing the current tree with a faster (possibly stagger loaded) library is on the list for 2.4. There was a page I can't find that had a comparison of the leading tree libs out there for use in SS 2.4. However this doesn't help you now as 2.4 is still in alpha and I don't know the status of updates to the SiteTree.

A workaround could be to use a ModelAdmin to work with pages instead of the Content tab. This would probably require you to change your pages to DataObjects instead.

rainerh

5 February 2010 at 9:48am

We have tested out site with the current 2.4 alpha. To be honest the performance in the backend is again unacceptable. Does the alpha version already provide the "faster code"?
The frontend works so far fine.

Greetings!

carlos

Community Member, 42 Posts

5 February 2010 at 10:19am

Hi rainerh

Just to clarify, you can treat DataObjects which do not inherit from SiteTree as a page, look at ViewableData::renderWith().

The CMS loads pages in root and first level in the SiteTree, maybe you should move old pages to a deeper level, this should help.

cheers

rainerh

5 February 2010 at 10:27am

As it is the case all our pages are on the third level. So if what you are saying is correct, the backend should always come up immediately which is not always the case. Sometimes it even takes more than 10 seconds. If some nodes are on seconds level are opened it takes even longer.

Greetings

Go to Top