Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Needed memory

Go to End

3 Posts   2850 Views

alexanm

Community Member, 38 Posts

23 December 2009 at 7:11am

Hello,

are there any informations about the memory consumption of the silverstripe admin? I have only about 55 Megabytes of RAM at my provider, and I can't open the sitetree hierarchy because the allowed amount of ram is exceeded...

TIA
Markus

CodeGuerrilla

Community Member, 105 Posts

15 January 2010 at 12:32pm

Edited: 15/01/2010 12:33pm

in sapphire/_config.php

ini_set('memory_limit', '64M'); // or higher I have used 128M on some of our hosts

or try php.ini in root of site note you may need the following line in your site roots .htaccess to allow this config for all directories in your site

.htaccess (optional)

SetEnv PHPRC <full path to web root eg: /home/username/public_html/>

php.ini

memory_limit = 64M # or higher

If this doesnt work try adding this to your site roots .htaccess

.htaccess

php_value  memory_limit  64M # or higher

Hope this helps.

wedwo

Community Member, 7 Posts

21 January 2010 at 5:58pm

Edited: 21/01/2010 6:04pm

Yeah, I came across this when trying to build a site with a free web provider. I tried so many but they often set the php memory_limit to 16/24Mb and that just puts a halt to SS. Obviously they want to conserve resources and sell you a bigger package but they don't realize that by not being able to setup a site (and by not advertising this point) they are actually driving business away. I can give you a handful of providers that I ended up so frustrated with after installing SS (and not being allowed to run phpinfo() to see the parameters) only to discover that the memory_limit was too low.

So far I haven't had success in finding a free provider to host SS - the closest I came was 000webhost.com but even they don't support excapeshellarg() which is required when adding a user under the security module.

I'm currently trying x10hosting.com and will report back on them but I have my doubts - another one that hides these details until you have committed alot of time and effort setting up your site.

While I understand the requirements of SS, I do think it's one of the factors holding it back - having a bunch home users crowing about it like they do Joomla or other CMS that can be run with minimal requirements helps to advertise the product even if they aren't bread and butter clients. There are so many good CMS products out there and from a tech standpoint SS is one of the better ones but don't ask the average user to recognize that. It's a real pity IMO.

BTW, I'm not a home user but want to host something on the web to show colleagues before I can convince them to purchase web hosting.