Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

is it possible to use MySQL database hosted on another ISP from the silverstripe site?

Go to End

12 Posts   7743 Views

pinkp

Community Member, 182 Posts

14 January 2010 at 9:40am

Yeah, if you know that the details are correct and you've used them before. It might take time for the update to take effect too. I think I had to wait 24 hours as it was not instant... but saying that I think that was only the first time since then its been fine!

You could even test it with another host try out: http://www.freemysql.net/v2/
You can set up a free MySQL quickly with them as a test, I used to connect to one with out any trouble or extra settings.
This is the server name (for when/if you need it): SQL09.FREEMYSQL.NET

goodluck

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

14 January 2010 at 9:26pm

I think so...All depend as ISP had setup mysql user login..

supermegaultra

Community Member, 33 Posts

15 January 2010 at 8:38am

Ahhh ha!

It does work! Took a while for the freemysql database to set its self up, but once it did it's now working fine and the silverstripe installation can find it perfectly!

I'm hitting up the hosting company about their mysql database and figure out whats wrong with it now.

I can confirm that connecting to a remote MySQL database is possible!

Thanks heaps for your help!

pinkp

Community Member, 182 Posts

15 January 2010 at 9:06am

Good stuff glad it's working! I don't advise using freemysql in the long run tho as for me it made SS run slowly, when I moved my db it was much faster! but its free so you can't really complain. Also I found that exporting my db from them and then uploading it to the new host was very 'bitty' and I lost lots of it... anyway that's another story!

success!

Go to Top