Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

eAccelerator vs. xcache vs. APC

Go to End

8 Posts   6829 Views

cardinale

Community Member, 23 Posts

9 June 2010 at 1:10am

Edited: 09/06/2010 8:36pm

Hello,
I want to speed up my Silverstripe site. Have someone experience with eAccelerator, xcache or APC and Silverstripe. Are there any incompatible problems known with SS. Which one is our favorite?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

17 June 2010 at 11:05pm

xCache is good. Used before, I have had some issues with xcache and emails but for the most part it works (just remember to test). Haven't used eAccelerator but I know of a couple sites using APC so you should try xcache / apc. If you want to get eAccelerator working please post your results. It would be good to know of any issues.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

20 July 2010 at 1:20am

I'm using xcache as well and haven't had any problems with eiter 2.3 .x or 2.4

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

25 July 2010 at 10:50am

Edited: 25/07/2010 10:52am

If you're on Windows, Windows Cache Extension for PHP "wincache" has stepped up in the last few months.

From my initial testing of wincache on PHP 5.3, it's proven to be very stable and adds a significant performance boost to PHP applications hosted on Windows, including SilverStripe.

Cheers,
Sean

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

22 October 2010 at 1:47am

Hi I've been banging my head trying to get some acceleration on the local host. Silver stripe can be soo much slower on my local host and I would like to believe that there is something I can do about it...

I have Windows 7 and WAMP and php 5.3.0 installed. I have tried...

a) WinCache looks like an IIS extension so a standard workstation using wamp it will not work... is this right?

b) APC / eAccelerator / xcache - each of these I have downloaded many different binaries (but starting with VC6 x86 ts/nts) and each time I add them to my php.ini as extenstion= or zend_extenstion= and still nothing in my phpinfo() that indicates caching...

PHP Version 5.3.0
Build Date	Jun 29 2009 21:23:30
Compiler	MSVC6 (Visual C++ 6.0)
Architecture	x86

Any help is much appreciated!

Sean

22 October 2010 at 9:35am

Edited: 22/10/2010 9:48am

Wincache isn't an IIS extension, it's a PHP extension designed to speed up PHP running on Windows. Therefore it should work on any version of PHP on Windows, including XAMPP and WAMP bundled versions. Just make sure you use the right Wincache version for the PHP version you're using. For example, if it's thread safe VC6 PHP, use Wincache thread safe VC6.

http://www.iis.net/download/WinCacheForPHP

Sean

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

22 October 2010 at 11:00pm

ok my php info says

Thread Safety	enabled

and when I goto...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wincache/files/
... all of the downloads are "nts" I couldn't see and "ts" or thread safe versions to download...

On the plus side now I see this I've got the right version of xcache and it is now showing in my phpinfo()... let the speedup begin...

Sean

24 October 2010 at 1:22pm

Thread safe versions of PHP aren't essential, because PHP itself is not guaranteed to be "thread safe" anyway because some extensions are not fully thread safe.

I'd recommend switching to non-thread safe if you can, because there's performance improvements when thread safety isn't checked.