Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Bloat in sapphire folder in 2.4?

Go to End

6 Posts   2111 Views

marblegravy

Community Member, 19 Posts

2 July 2010 at 9:22am

I'm hoping that I'm just doing something wrong here because I can't update many of my websites to 2.4 because they just don't have enough storage space.

From the previous version, I understand that jsparty is moved in to the sapphire folder... in the last version the jsparty folder was ~15MB. Sapphire was 5.6. Now under 2.4 Sapphire weighs a whopping 28.7MB so something is getting bigger, with the whole install coming to 32.3MB.

My themes, custom code and plugins etc come in at around 1.5MB.

With a lot of the servers my clients use, there's only 50MB of space available which means I've only got 16MB to squeeze all their documents in there too.

Is there any way to lighten the Sapphire folder? I mean >15MB of javascript just seems a little bit much...

TotalNet

Community Member, 181 Posts

2 July 2010 at 10:25am

My 2.4 install has ~20MB for sapphire, ~2MB for cms
Have you removed the old jsparty directory after the upgrade?

My hosting wholesaler allows me to create sites within my own directory structure and so I do a linked installation, more for ease of install/upgrade than space concerns but could be something that will help you.

there's a topic discussing how to do it here:
http://www.silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/251650

Cheers,

Rich

marblegravy

2 July 2010 at 10:35am

That's definitely a natty solution to a multi-site situation!

I've just got the one though... the issue I have is that with the 50MB cap, the CMS and around 20MB of documents, I can't upload an archive and unpack it because the process fails half-way through because there's no more disk space!

I think it could just be a case of finding a plan with more space or a hosting service that is a little more flexible about it's file caps.

TotalNet

2 July 2010 at 10:57am

Edited: 02/07/2010 10:59am

50MB is definitely at the budget end of the hosting spectrum. No offence.

Having said that, you should be able to squeeze everything in there. I have unpacked SS2.4.0 and the whole thing is 22.1MB (actual size, not "size on disk") so you should be able to squeeze everything in.

definitely not the recommended approach to upgrading but with a DB backup you should be fine ... unpack SS2.4.0 locally, delete the sapphire, cms, jsparty & googlesitemaps directories from the host and FTP the 2.4.0 versions of those directories (minus jsparty) to the host and run a dev/build?flush=all (I also specify dont_populate=1 for upgrades) and you should be back in business. There is of course site downtime while you do this.

There are major changes in 2.4 so it's worth reading the upgrade notes to check whether any of your code/themes need updating. If you have a local dev web server then you can test all that before you start deleting stuff - highly recommended!

marblegravy

2 July 2010 at 11:23am

Thanks- yeah, that's the method I'm going to be using. I've pulled down and set up a local version and applied the 2.4 update and all is well. Have ftp'd across the cms files, but now need to audit the assets folder and reduce the size of that to get it to fit!

Quick question - if I start removing assets from the assets folder, will that break anything in the CMS (other than any links that were referencing those files, obviously)?

If there's no way to squeeze the size of the install, I'll just have to get the client to spring for more storage space. - Always hard for a not for profit org.

TotalNet

2 July 2010 at 12:32pm

Quick Answer:
It's "cleaner" if you delete the assets with the CMS so the database is in sync. I've had issues when the DB is out of step with the file system.