Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SilverStripe on Media Temple

Go to End

8 Posts   4178 Views

Tim_Donaldson

Community Member, 9 Posts

2 October 2010 at 2:56pm

Hi, was just wanting to ask about the performance of SS on MediaTemple GS.

I was reading this forum post :http://www.silverstripe.org/archive/show/107990#post107990 about slow speeds which offered a solution here : http://doc.silverstripe.org/contentdeliverynetworkissues but it looks a bit over my head and seems like it will still be slow to load in New Zealand anyway, so perhaps it is best go for another CMS? Though this issue was from 2008, so maybe things are resolved?

I would love to give SS a go, so updates or additional comments about overcoming the slowness would be great.

Cheers,

Tim

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

5 October 2010 at 5:01pm

SilverStripe is fastest when served from a cache. memcached or using some other form of opcode cache helps dramatically. I think one of the issues with running on the GS is that it cannot work off a single cache as easily so more processing time is taken up rebuilding the cache as its all around.

If you setup a 'silverstripe-cache' folder in your root site directory then that will be a benefit.

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

26 October 2010 at 1:24pm

I run about eight to ten SilverStripe websites on both Media Temple GS and DV servers. My experience is, if you upgrade to the DV server, that alone will give SS a giant boost in speed. On the GS, it is noticeably slower. But like Willr said, enabling caching will help. You could also look into the module that converts your pages to static HTML, for even better performance boosts.

joern

Community Member, 28 Posts

23 May 2011 at 7:58pm

Hi,
i have the same problems at media temple. what did you do? my cache folder is already in the html-root directory but it doesn't make any improvements.

tv

Community Member, 44 Posts

11 August 2011 at 1:40pm

Hi Ryan

I am running a Silverstripe install on Media Temple dv 3.5.

I am having a problem getting my cache blocks to work. I have my 'silverstripe-cache' directory permissions at 777, but nothing is being written to the 'cache ' folder within the 'silverstripe-cache' folder (no zend files). Therefore my partial cacheing is not working. My cache folder has permissions of 'owner: apache' and 755.

Have you ever experienced anything like this on Media Temple?

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

12 August 2011 at 7:55am

@tv: My silverstripe-cache folders are set to 777 as well. That should work. Did you try setting your cache folder to that? You mentioned it was set to 755 instead.

@joern Sorry for my late reply! I don't subscribe to this thread and just noticed the new posts in the RSS feed today. Make sure your cache folder has the correct permissions.

joern

Community Member, 28 Posts

12 August 2011 at 5:43pm

Hi,
i create a cache-folder inside the data folder from my media template account. so that it is siblings to the tmp folder where the php sessions are stored. i'm not 100% sure, if it's the best way, but it works...

tv

Community Member, 44 Posts

12 August 2011 at 10:51pm

Thanks Ryan.

Setting the permissions to 777 and changing the owner and group of the silverstripe-cache/cache folder did the trick. Media Temple automatically assigned an owner and group of apache to the cache folder.

Getting APC installed on dv 3.5 was a whole other bag of worms. I finally did get it installed, but whenever I up the shared memory to 128M, CPU usage peaks out on me. Right now I have shared memory set to 100M and everything seems to be holding steady.