Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Hostgator?

Go to End

5 Posts   3178 Views

violetflowers

Community Member, 1 Post

4 June 2011 at 8:11am

Has anyone used Hostgator when installing SS?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

6 June 2011 at 3:37pm

Never used hostgator but what issues are you running into? most problems aren't limited to just one provider.

janorbur

Community Member, 2 Posts

25 June 2011 at 3:38am

I have a test site running on Hostgator and may move a production site there soon. Had a heck of a time getting mod_rewrite to work. We ended up with an .htaccess that looks like:

### SILVERSTRIPE START ###
<Files *.ss>
	Order deny,allow
	Deny from all
	Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Files>

<Files web.config>
	Order deny,allow
	Deny from all
</Files>
ErrorDocument 404 /assets/error-404.html
ErrorDocument 500 /assets/error-500.html

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
	RedirectMatch 403 /silverstripe-cache(/|$)
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
DirectoryIndex index.php
SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On
RewriteEngine On
	RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
	RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]
### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

The big problem we had was that "index.php" would remain in the page paths. This was only fixed by changing the perms on the sapphire directory to 755 from the installed 775. I don't know if the 775 perms were from the original install or an artifact of having copied the directory structure from another server but it solved the problem.

Mrfixer

Community Member, 49 Posts

25 June 2011 at 10:44pm

Yeah running a test site on hostgator isnt the most easiest of things due to how mod_rewrite is handled, i gave up trying to mod_rewrite when running a dev site on there, i contacted HG support and they just said go with what im doing, work on the site and once my clients ready to move from his old host company over to HG and his brand spanking website it would resolve itself when the DNS was switched, to aid that process though i had to have two .htaccess like this http://www.silverstripe.org/installing-silverstripe/show/16895 (see my post for the .htaccess codes and explanation), as soon as that was done everything went perfectly on the DNS switching.

@janorbur will be starting a new SS dev on HG this coming tuesday so will give your .htaccess a whirl, regards

DanStephenson

Community Member, 116 Posts

19 October 2011 at 9:03am

I've hosted a few dozen SilverStripe sites with HostGator, and never had an issue.