Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Hosting Recommendations?

Go to End

17 Posts   10688 Views

fishe

Community Member, 42 Posts

22 January 2009 at 8:49am

Who can recommend a good hosting provider that (ideally) supports SilverStripe out-of-the-box?

Requirements would be the usual things:
- fast
- SSH support
- mod_url etc. for SS
- at least 200-300mb space
- bandwidth limits are not so critical (small site)
- US or NZ based doesn't matter so much, however NZ would be preferred as large majority of traffic will be NZ national

Are there any good NZ web hosting companies?

I've used Dreamhost for a long time in the past but it does seem to be getting too big for its own good these days (i.e. slow). However they've recently started using FastCGI for PHP so that should help. I can't really fault Dreamhost though beyond possible speed issues and being US-based, just wondering about other recommendations.

Thanks in advance guys!

solar

10 Posts

27 January 2009 at 6:58pm

I use 1&1 hosting (USA) Installed with no problems on first try. And i think I have the $4.99 a month plan(I think)

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=AD8881772750CA327E685C100BE23F79.TC60a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

ps: I was not able to install on netFirms.com

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

29 January 2009 at 3:25pm

A good NZ host we use (slightly expensive but the guys are nice) and it comes with SSH / subversion, unlimited bandwidth/ space etc is http://www.nucleus.co.nz/ but at $29.95 it could be viewed on the slightly expensive side but SS installs without an issue

animasola

Community Member, 121 Posts

15 February 2009 at 7:21am

Do you still need the hosting? I could set you up coz I got a reseller account based in Australia. I host a couple of my Silverstripe sites there although none of them are really active. I wouldn't want my reseller account to go to waste so I'd rather help another in need, that is if you want it. Just give me a pm.

fishe

26 February 2009 at 7:47pm

No I don't need a host anymore thanks.

fishe

26 February 2009 at 7:50pm

Hrm the reply function on here doesn't seem to do anything :)

I would like to put a recommendation here for Nucleus as a great SilverStripe host. Good support, it's NZ-based, SSH access possible, it's fast, and SS installs easy.

It is a bit on the expensive side, and the control panel interface isn't the best...but it's a great choice still.

Jojo

Community Member, 16 Posts

16 March 2009 at 7:26pm

Are there any other suggestions for a NZ hosting company that supports Silverstripe well and is less expensive than nucleus? I have been using Freeparking for the 2.2.2 version but had a few problems. It may be fine with 2.3. Anyone else used them for 2.3?

beeonline

Community Member, 7 Posts

4 April 2009 at 12:04pm

Edited: 04/04/2009 12:04pm

You could consider Hosting Direct - they're an Auckland based company.

Starter plans with 250MB of space start at $5.95 per month, and their support is okay.

I have a dedicated server with them so haven't used a shared hosting plan, but Silverstripe Stripe runs without any changes required on that.

Go to Top