Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

forced and random mbstring.func_overload

Go to End

23 Posts   9889 Views

rndmerle

Community Member, 24 Posts

22 April 2009 at 11:21am

The value of mbstring.func_overload is an integer that tells Mbstring which functions it has to override.
For us, randomly, the php engine is behaving like if mbstring.func_overload was equal to 4.
Here is a table of the possible values : http://www.php-editors.com/php_manual/ref.mbstring.html#mbstring.overload

The overload of classic str functions by mb_str functions should not be a problem. But actually it's a problem because :
1/ mb_substr_count and substr_count don't have the same signatures/arguments. I don't know the hell why.
2/ it seems that ereg_replace doesn't complain about a mismatching parenthesis in a regex pattern. But mb_ereg_replace complains.

Solo

Community Member, 32 Posts

11 February 2010 at 3:11pm

It is the hoster problem, not ss. To solve it, edit .htaccess file and set: php_value mbstring.func_overload 1.

JordanC

Community Member, 9 Posts

16 March 2010 at 3:35pm

If you are unable to override the mbstring.func_overload in .htaccess

The suggestion above worked for me:

-------------

It happens there is one error in the pattern of two regex in sapphire/core/SSViewer.php.
Ereg_replace doesn't complain about it, but mb_ereg_replace (and preg_replace too) does. At lines 494 and 496, the last closed parenthesis of the pattern needs to be escaped

,\<\?= +([^\?]*) +\?\>) +%' . '>',

becomes

,\<\?= +([^\?]*) +\?\>\) +%' . '>',

Solo

Community Member, 32 Posts

25 March 2010 at 7:23pm

Setting php_value mbstring.func_overload 1 is not good for your server letters (the coding becomes wrong).
The best, is to set .htaccess:

php_value output_buffering On
php_value output_handler mb_output_handler
php_value default_charset UTF-8
php_value mbstring.language Russian(set yours)
php_value mbstring.http_input auto
php_value mbstring.http_output UTF-8
php_value mbstring.internal_encoding UTF-8
php_value mbstring.substitute_character none
php_value mbstring.func_overload 6

I having same problem when i used ModX.

Anatol

126 Posts

6 August 2010 at 4:15pm

Edited: 06/08/2010 4:16pm

Thank you! This post probably saved me a few frustrating hours. I had the same problem and Silverstripe would just show an error message after the installation. I installed Silverstripe 2.4.1 (around August 2010) and the problem still doesn't seem to be fixed - or maybe it only appears in certain server environments. I added the following two backslashes in green in /sapphire/core/SSViewer.php , line 581 and 582 in my version of Silverstripe:

// i18n sprintf(_t(...),$argument) with entity only (no dots in namespace), meaning the current template filename will be added as a namespace
      $content = ereg_replace('<' . '% +sprintf\(_t\((\'([^\.\']*)\'|"([^\."]*)")(([^)]|\)[^ ]|\) +[^% ])*)\),\<\?= +([^\?]*) +\?\>\) +%' . '>', '<?= sprintf(_t(\''. $path[1] . '.\\2\\3\'\\4),\\6) ?>', $content);
      // i18n sprintf(_t(...),$argument)
      $content = ereg_replace('<' . '% +sprintf\(_t\((\'([^\']*)\'|"([^"]*)")(([^)]|\)[^ ]|\) +[^% ])*)\),\<\?= +([^\?]*) +\?\>\) +%' . '>', '<?= sprintf(_t(\'\\2\\3\'\\4),\\6) ?>', $content);

Cheers!
Anatol

bennettpr

Community Member, 37 Posts

18 August 2011 at 8:25pm

Thanks for posting this Anatol.

I can confirm it's still an issue on some hosts when using version 2.4.5

I tried to copy a site which was previously installed on another server and had this error but patching the SSViewer.php file didn't work on a site which had been installed previously.
The only solution I've found is to delete the files, empty the db, load up a fresh version of SilverStripe 2.4.5, patch the file and install as normal.

Just in case this helps anyone else.

Paul

Darkfaythe

Community Member, 6 Posts

17 April 2012 at 4:50pm

Thanks for this post Anatol, this is still an issue with 2.4.7 as well and this change in the SS_Viewer.php file sorted it nicely.

Cheers

Go to Top