Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Virtual Dedicated requirements

Go to End

4 Posts   2494 Views

PeteF

Community Member, 8 Posts

29 October 2009 at 12:51am

Hi guys

We're looking at putting a site on a hosting package with VPS.NET. The reason we're going down this road it because of the simplicity of taking snapshots of the system and restoring them if needs be - also the host has systems in the UK and US.

But what sort of level should we consider as a basic level hosting system for SS based upon the options that are offered by VPS.NET?

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Kind Regards
Pete Fernando

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

29 October 2009 at 6:19pm

Just like any hosting it does depend what type of site you are hosting. If they are small you can get away with the lowest vps plan they offer. For some of my clients I run 5/6 sites on 1 VPS with 256mb Ram, HDD space is never an issue with hosting these days (my average install of SS is only be around 250mb-400mb once you take images, uploads into consideration) and their cheapest plan offers 10gb so you should be fine.

The main thing with hosting SS (and most large app's/sites) is memory usage. Get as much of it as you can but if you are unsure then start off at the cheapest plan (256mb) and if you notice the performance becoming an issue then simply upgrade the plan :D.

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

14 January 2010 at 9:27pm

Minimum PHP memory requirement for SS is 64Mb...

meganjo

Community Member, 5 Posts

21 January 2010 at 6:14pm

Thanx for sharing....
-------------
Dedicated Linux Server Hosting