Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Cant access SS after install - need email address?

Go to End

5 Posts   2204 Views

cathryn999

Community Member, 3 Posts

16 December 2009 at 4:44pm

Hi there
I'm a newbie - please be gentle :)

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2, and did an absolute vanilla install from MS Web Platform installer as per the instructions at http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=installation-on-windows-pi - with all default settings, on a relatively virgin desktop with no previous instances of SS, SQL Server, MySQL, PHP, or any other CMS.

Web PI installs about 20 things and gives me a message that Silverstrip installed successfully.

I click "launch Silverstripe" and the page loads,

"Welcome to SilverStripe! This is the default homepage. You can edit this page by opening the CMS. You can now access the developer documentation, or begin the tutorials."
When I click on the 'open the CMS' link I'm prompted for an email address and password - nowhere in the install process did I enter an email address or password, so I'm unable to get past this step.

When I follow the advice in the tutorials it tells me "You can access the cms at http://localhost/admin" - so I try this and get error 404 page not found.
So I try to navigate directly to localhost/silverstripe/admin and I'm prompted again for email addr and password.

Any suggestions for how I can make this work without having to recruit the services of a DBA or web developer?

thanks
Cathryn

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

16 December 2009 at 6:05pm

It does ask for these values on the setup page, but provides defaults so you might have skipped over them. The default is admin/password.

cathryn999

16 December 2009 at 6:46pm

Thanks for responding AJ. During the install process I was prompted for (and did enter) passwords for admin, user, and silverstripe admin, but no email address anywhere. However, it's not asking me for a username, it's asking me for an email address. Do u know if there is a default email addr? I'm sure if I can get past this step I'll be right....
thanks
Cathryn

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

16 December 2009 at 6:47pm

Email & Username refer to the same thing in the install/login process.

cathryn999

16 December 2009 at 6:54pm

I'm blonde. Thanks AJ - I'm in.
cheers,
Cathryn :)