Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Is there a specific test for live mode?

6 Posts   2244 Views

ianpiper

Community Member, 32 Posts

19 January 2010 at 5:24am

I have had an email from a colleague warning about a scam involving scallywags using SilverStripe sites that are in dev mode. From reading the documentation I think that my site is in live mode (the Director::set_environment_type("dev") directive is not set and it is not running on localhost). But is there a way that I can be sure? I do see some slightly alarming options when I look at the /dev/folder on my site, without authenticating as admin.

Reassurance craved!

Ian.
--

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

19 January 2010 at 9:23am

You can tell if your site is in live mode by logging out entirely then trying to do any of the developer tasks. Eg go to yoursite.com/dev/build. If it is in live mode you should be prompted for a password before you are allowed to rebuild the database. If you aren't asked for a password to do that you are either a) still logged in :) or b) not in live mode.

Or if you want to be a bit more certain you could add something like this in your _config file to just test it out (remove it afterwards)

die(Director::get_environment_type());

Which should give you a blank screen with either 'live', 'test', 'dev' or nothing.

timcole

Community Member, 32 Posts

29 April 2010 at 1:30pm

Hi - I have a site which is launching TODAY and I have just tried putting it in "Live" mode using: Director::set_environment_type("live"); in my _config.php.

But, I can still access /dev/build without being logged in! I tried putting your code in Willr and the pages came out saying "live". Any idea why it's still letting anyone at dev/build without needing a password?

DsX

Community Member, 178 Posts

17 October 2010 at 6:29am

I have a site, where I need to switch css resources depending on my dev mode.
How can I test my mode from within a template?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

17 October 2010 at 10:05am

DsX - that function is not available in the templates but you can put something like this in page.php which will allow you to use <% if InDevMode %> (or you could look for live rather than dev)

function InDevMode() {
return (Director::isDev());
}

DsX

Community Member, 178 Posts

17 October 2010 at 11:33am

Thanks Willr,

thats just about the exact same as I added ;)
Might be a worthwhile one to add as a standard.