Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Really need some help here guys....

Go to End

4 Posts   1459 Views

tmb1973

Community Member, 2 Posts

27 January 2010 at 3:41am

Hi, I’m very impressed with SilverStripe as a CMS, however, I have some questions.

a) Rather than install to the root folder (some of my clients rely on their initial page as index.php, I opted to install to an empty directory called CMS.
b) Upon doing so, once installed and accessing the CMS doesn’t show any pages, it creates four blank ones, but I need to be able to access the root directory/existing website where the pages are stored, how can I do this?

Other than that, SilverStripe looks amazing! Please help

Many Thanks

Trevor Barrett

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

27 January 2010 at 11:56am

Did you originally install SS in that subfolder or did you move it there? The installer should pick up the fact it is in a subfolder and adapt the base url accordingly. So if you're moved into a subdir it could be that SS still thinks its in the root.

How do you mean you need to be able to access the root directory? If you installed SS in a subfolder then it should leave anything in that root folder alone.

davidm2010

Community Member, 107 Posts

28 January 2010 at 2:04am

If you installed on the sub directory and that directory can be access that directory, should look like http://myaddress/ss I have done this as well.

David

tmb1973

Community Member, 2 Posts

28 January 2010 at 3:15am

The installation directly in to directory cms doesn't allow me to edit pre existing (both htm & php) files created using dreamweaver. I cannot get it to recognise that I want to work on content outside of the cms directory on pre existing files. It just creates the four workable files for the my site directory (I think thats where the files are stored). Ultimatly the client needs to use silver stripe to ammend content etc on pre existing silver stripe installation, thus giving them the ability to manage the content that's pre existing, then saving it to the orgininal location. Can silver stripe do this?