Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Problem with htaccess causing 500 and 404 errors

Go to End

3 Posts   3811 Views

Ctrl+Z

Community Member, 9 Posts

18 February 2010 at 11:10am

Edited: 19/02/2010 9:27am

I had some 500 Internal Server Errors on my site, which my host (Blue Host) told me was because of problems with my .htaccess file. Oddly though, there was no problem with this yesterday when I set up SS.

I see this problem has been faced before, but I am not confident I understood what I should do. What do I change about my htaccess file and where should I put it?

Thanks

Ctrl+Z

Community Member, 9 Posts

18 February 2010 at 12:34pm

Edited: 19/02/2010 9:27am

UPDATE: After reading pages of forums this seemed relevant and straightforward: http://silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/252087#post252087 . I have removed the sub-folder that was included as part of the installation from htaccess. Now if I go to my site it looks as it should.

But another smaller problem has come up as a result. Before when my site was down I could go to http://[IP Address]/[User name] so that I could work on my site even if the server was down. This now comes up with a 404 Error. I believe this will probably cause me confusion or strife in the future. Any ideas to fix it?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

23 February 2010 at 11:16pm

You might want to check the RewriteBase value in the htaccess file.

If it's not set correctly, rewriting will break and cause 404s! This will happen if you install in a certain directory, then move the installation somewhere else while retaining the htaccess from the previous install.

Sean