Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Updating an existing site?

Go to End

2 Posts   1285 Views

wilsonStaff

Community Member, 143 Posts

9 May 2010 at 5:32am

Hi, i am TOTALLY new to SS (but not to XHTML, HTML, CSS and the likes).

Before going on, i have bought the Silverstripe complete Guide to CMS and intend to read it. I do have a simple task to do before taking the time to learn SS and CMS.

But frankly, i am quite frustrated. For something that is supposed to ease things, its REALLY complicated. Let me ask a very few basics questions for which i expect to have basic replies that arent supposed to exceed two lines..... in which case its not a basic answer.... Told you i am p...

- via FTP, ive dowmloaded themes/ folder from the server TO my local themes/ folder. From there, how do i open templates?

- how in the world do you start a NEW project once or run MULTIPLE projects???? Do i have to install a new SS everytime i start a new project???? In comparaison to HTML where you have folders, do i have to use the htdocs folder each tiem and move old projects elsewhere?

- i want to change the headers of one page because i need to add JS script and the CMS User Admin panel wont let me add JS from the HTML view? How can i do that?

Thanks for helping.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 May 2010 at 11:22am

- via FTP, ive dowmloaded themes/ folder from the server TO my local themes/ folder. From there, how do i open templates?

You should be able to edit .ss templates in any text editor you wish. I use TextMate on mac but anything from notepad to dreamweaver can be used to edit the ss files.

- how in the world do you start a NEW project once or run MULTIPLE projects???? Do i have to install a new SS everytime i start a new project???? In comparaison to HTML where you have folders, do i have to use the htdocs folder each tiem and move old projects elsewhere?

Personally I install SS new everytime for a new site. In my Sites folder I have folders for each site and they each run on separate databases. If you don't want to manage a whole bunch of installs and instead want 1 set of code you can use the Subsites module which enables you to run multiple sites off 1 install but to begin with I would make each its own install.

- i want to change the headers of one page because i need to add JS script and the CMS User Admin panel wont let me add JS from the HTML view? How can i do that?

See the HTMLEditor Config page for how to customize the allowed options - http://doc.silverstripe.org/htmleditorconfig.