Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Install Fails No Error Shown

Go to End

3 Posts   1576 Views

joshpennington

Community Member, 4 Posts

14 May 2010 at 6:24am

I am pretty new to SilverStripe and I am having some trouble getting the software to install on my server.

The install page says that I have met all the requirements and that I am ready to go, but when I click install the Installing Page comes up and then just stops loading.

The page title says "PHP 5 is required" and then content of the page is as follows:

I am now running through the installation steps (this should take about 30 seconds)

If you receive a fatal error, refresh this page to continue the installation

* Setting up 'mysite/_config.php'...
* Setting up /var/www/vhosts/magentousersgroup.com/httpdocs/mysite/_config.php
* Setting up '.htaccess' file...
* Setting up /var/www/vhosts/magentousersgroup.com/httpdocs/.htaccess

Does anyone have any idea why it would be doing that or what I have to do to get the install to complete? Looking at the install.php file it looks like it could be an issue with the database or something since that looks like the next thing its doing.

Thanks

Josh Pennington

joshpennington

14 May 2010 at 6:28am

I did some hunting around the install.php file and it looks like the problem is happening somewhere in the require_once('core/Core.php'); line.

Don't know if that helps but that is where it seems to be dying.

Josh

joshpennington

14 May 2010 at 6:43am

I was able to solve the issue on my own. For the others out there here is what I did to help me diagnose my problem:

The first thing I did was use the built in status message function to make calls to find where in the code things were going bad. So basically I added the following line and ran the installer again. I did this until I found the line that was causing the problem:

$this->statusMessage("Got here: " . __LINE__);

I found that something bad was happening in the core/Core.php file.

I then added the two following lines of code to the top of install.php

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

This was the real winner here. This showed all kinds of errors and warnings.

In the end the problem was that the silverstripe-cache directory was created by root and even with 777 permissions it would not let the installer work inside there. Changing the owner of the directory worked.

Josh Pennington