Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Installing to a subdirectory (solved)

Go to End

4 Posts   2341 Views

nitmd

Community Member, 2 Posts

9 November 2010 at 4:37pm

I am trying out silverstripe, and downloaded the file and extracted to my local server. I do not want it in the server root, as I have other projects there, but rather in its own subdirectory. When I do that, I cannot even see the silverstripe directory in the browser, and if I try to go to the silverstripe subdirectory I get a 500 error.

If I rename the .htaccess file to something else, the directory shows up and I can get to the framework installation page. So it is obviously a setting in the .htaccess file that is the problem. What do I need to change in the .htaccess file to allow silverstripe to work in this setup? I'm running apache under linux.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

10 November 2010 at 1:30am

The SilverStripe default installation relies on URL Rewriting. It seems like your server doesn't like url-rewriting (mod_rewrite) directives in the .htaccess file. Maybe you should check first if your server is configured in a way that url-rewriting via .htaccess is allowed?

nitmd

Community Member, 2 Posts

10 November 2010 at 7:30am

Edited: 10/11/2010 8:06am

Thanks. mod_rewrite was loaded, but I had to add the following:

<Directory "/srv/http/silverstripe">
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

to my httpd.conf file

Although now I can't upload any files, and silverstripe doesn't recognize the png files I manually put in the Uploads directory. Found a thread on the upload issue that involves a patch (over my head what they are talking about), looks like I'll be trying another CMS. Silverstripe looked promising. ..sigh..

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

10 November 2010 at 9:11pm

Sorry to hear that SilverStripe didn't meet your expectations. I have never encountered that PNG issue and I installed SilverStripe on multiple machines already...
Btw.: You can manually add files to the "Upload" folder. After adding the files, you'll have to go to the Files & Images tab in the CMS and press the "Look for new files" Button.