Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

v2.4.4 on shared host - temporary directory problems

Go to End

4 Posts   1618 Views

JonShutt

Community Member, 244 Posts

30 January 2011 at 1:44pm

Hi there,
I'm running an account which shares a few websites. I install an older version of sliverstripe a few months ago on a couple of sites. However, now when I try and install version 2.4.4, i get

User 'xxxx' needs to be able to write to this file:
/tmp/silverstripe-cache

The file is currently owned by 'yyyy'. There is no user-group that contains both the web-server user and the owner of this file. Change the ownership of the file, create a new group, or temporarily make the file writeable by everyone during the install process.

I've looked through various websites, created my own silverstripe-cache folders, chaged settings etc, but nothing works.
if i create my own 'silverstripe-cache' folder, it starts installing, but then fails with:

[Warning] is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/dev/urandom) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/northern:/usr/lib/php:/usr/bin:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php:/tmp)
POST /install.php

Seeing how i installed multiple silverstripe sites, on different user accounts a while back, it leads me to think either some server settigns have changed, or this is a problem with the latest version of silverstripe.

An easy way to check would be to find an older version and try reinstalling, but i can't find any older versions?

Any help appreciated.

on

ajshort

30 January 2011 at 2:03pm

Unfortunately there was a bug in 2.4.4 to do with the new entropy generator and open_basedir restrictions. You'll need to manually apply the changeset at http://open.silverstripe.org/changeset/115314, or upgrade to the latest branches/2.4 version.

JonShutt

30 January 2011 at 2:14pm

Since posting, I've added

php_value session.save_path '/home/myaccount/tmp'
php_value upload_tmp_dir '/home/myaccount/tmp'
PutEnv TMPDIR '/home/myaccount/tmp'

to the .htaccess file - this stops the errors displaynig in the install screen, but when installing i'm still getting all the basedir errors

it's happening on
/home/myaccount/public_html/silverstripe/sapphire/security/RandomGenerator.php with the line
if(!$isWin && is_readable('/dev/urandom') && ($h = fopen('/dev/urandom', 'rb'))) {

*** Note: I just noticed ajshorts comment too - will try and in a minute...

JonShutt

30 January 2011 at 2:21pm

Well, that was hard work - but now works.
Many thanks 'ajshort' - your quick reply saved me hours!
jon