Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Help "reinstalling" a site on a new server

6 Posts   1052 Views

Sue

Community Member, 26 Posts

18 June 2011 at 7:34am

I have received a DVD with SilverStrip 2.3.7 on it along with a site created in SilverStrip and the SQL dump. How do I install this previously created site on my server. I uploaded the created site to the server and the obviously doesn't work because there is no connection to a database. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Sue

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

18 June 2011 at 11:33pm

if you still need this?

you need access to a (mysql) database, then use the database dump to update the database. Next you need to update the database credentials you'll find in the /mysite/_config.php settings.

Make sure you have a /silverstripe-cache/ directory and make it writable (if it exists and there are still any files in it, you can throw them away first).

Make sure the /assets/ directory and all that's in it is writable as well. Take it from there...

Sue

19 June 2011 at 12:57am

I definitely need this. Will try on Monday when I get back to work. Thanks

Sue

21 June 2011 at 4:01am

When you say writable - what number should the permissions be set at (who has permission to write)?

Thanks
Sue

Plato

21 June 2011 at 9:49am

Your web user needs to be able to write and read from /assets.

assuming your web user is www-data, you should either make this user the owner of the files, or you can chmod 777 all folders in assets, and chmod 666 all files (in assets/) excepting .htaccess of course.

The silverstripe-cache folder is actually optional, as silverstripe will use whatever temp dir you have available. However if you have issues writing to a temp folder (such as no write permissions for /tmp) then creating silverstripe-cache will save a heck of a lot of headache. This folder should be 777 also.

Make sure to turn PHP Safe Mode off (and open_basedir too sometimes causes issues, post back about that as it's a bit more invovled).

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

21 June 2011 at 8:40pm

To add to that: although creating a silverstripe-cache directory is optional, the SilverStripe cache is a very substantial part of the way SilverStripe operates, and I feel better to always 'know where it is' in case of trouble - especially on shared hosting, and not let my host decide for me... But that's just how I do it - and it doesn't take much effort :-)

Partial caches are also stored in the silverstripe-cache directory - I wonder if they can they be located anywhere else? Never checked - and I do occasionally want to distroy them...