Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Help "reinstalling" a site on a new server

Go to End

6 Posts   1577 Views

Sue

Community Member, 26 Posts

18 June 2011 at 7:34am

I have received a DVD with SilverStrip 2.3.7 on it along with a site created in SilverStrip and the SQL dump. How do I install this previously created site on my server. I uploaded the created site to the server and the obviously doesn't work because there is no connection to a database. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Sue

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

18 June 2011 at 11:33pm

if you still need this?

you need access to a (mysql) database, then use the database dump to update the database. Next you need to update the database credentials you'll find in the /mysite/_config.php settings.

Make sure you have a /silverstripe-cache/ directory and make it writable (if it exists and there are still any files in it, you can throw them away first).

Make sure the /assets/ directory and all that's in it is writable as well. Take it from there...

Sue

19 June 2011 at 12:57am

I definitely need this. Will try on Monday when I get back to work. Thanks

Sue

21 June 2011 at 4:01am

When you say writable - what number should the permissions be set at (who has permission to write)?

Thanks
Sue

Plato Creative

21 June 2011 at 9:49am

Your web user needs to be able to write and read from /assets.

assuming your web user is www-data, you should either make this user the owner of the files, or you can chmod 777 all folders in assets, and chmod 666 all files (in assets/) excepting .htaccess of course.

The silverstripe-cache folder is actually optional, as silverstripe will use whatever temp dir you have available. However if you have issues writing to a temp folder (such as no write permissions for /tmp) then creating silverstripe-cache will save a heck of a lot of headache. This folder should be 777 also.

Make sure to turn PHP Safe Mode off (and open_basedir too sometimes causes issues, post back about that as it's a bit more invovled).

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

21 June 2011 at 8:40pm

To add to that: although creating a silverstripe-cache directory is optional, the SilverStripe cache is a very substantial part of the way SilverStripe operates, and I feel better to always 'know where it is' in case of trouble - especially on shared hosting, and not let my host decide for me... But that's just how I do it - and it doesn't take much effort :-)

Partial caches are also stored in the silverstripe-cache directory - I wonder if they can they be located anywhere else? Never checked - and I do occasionally want to distroy them...