Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Multiple TLD configuration

Go to End

2 Posts   1208 Views

LenH

Community Member, 1 Post

1 April 2012 at 6:21pm

Edited: 01/04/2012 6:24pm

Hi,

We've been using SS for about 2 years now and I must start by saying we are very happy - certainly the best Open Source CMS we have come across todate...

Please excuse this post if the question I am asking has been addressed elsewhere - I've searched the forums and web but have yet to see a definitive answer - from what I've read it seems to be possible but as this is strategic to our future web content strategy I'd really appreciate an expert opinion / answer to our specific requirements which are as follows:

1. we own multiple TLD's (.com, .net, .info, .us, .co.uk, .fr, .de etc etc etc)

2. we need to cater for 2 specific requirements regarding our TLD's as follows:
a) obviously the .com is the entry point but we need to be able to allow regional specific content under it's own distinct TLD (.e.g .us for USA based visitors)
b) we need to be able to cater for different langauges that are containted within the associated TLD (e.g. .fr for French content)

What we trying to achieve is a scenario whereby a site visitor could elect to "jump" to regional / content specific information located under a distinct TLD and stay under that TLD whilst visiting so it "looks" like they are on a completely seperate site TLD whilst levaraging common content in certain instances but replacing certain content with highly regionalised content applicable to that target market in other cases. (Does this mean all pages / site structure would need to be replicated for each TLD???)

3. we would like ALL sites / TLD's to be managed from a SINGLE SS instance allowing for our Communications & Marketing Group to be able to review and publish content regardless of which operating company country contributor added the content

I hope the above explanation is detailed enough for an expert to offer an opinion / best practise link guidelines / suggestions on how we could achieve the above.

Once again, apologies if the above is "newbie" stuff or has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Len
PS - our environment is Linux on our own hosted servers so we have no problem with making custom changes to .htaccess files / module code etc if needed...

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

14 April 2012 at 6:09pm

Hi Len, welcome to the forums,

I realize this is a bit late and I hope you've found a solution already. But if not, you could take a look at Chris' Translatable-Domains module: https://github.com/cbryer/Translatable-Domains. I have no personal experience with it, but it might just be what you're looking for...

Cheers, Martine