Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Transfer to new host

Go to End

9 Posts   2228 Views

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 July 2012 at 8:50pm

Alright so I've dealt lots with Drupal and Wordpress. But never dealt with Silverstripe

The current site is

I'm trying to transfer this site onto a new host. (i'm currently using edit host files to point domain to new host)

I'm pretty confident I've transferred all the files, from what I can gather DB settings are placed here:

Is there something that I've missed for this site to work? change .htaccess files?

Is there any documentation for this process? ....

Community Member, 46 Posts

2 August 2012 at 7:35am

What do you see / don't see? If you just see a white page, try putting your site into development mode by adding Director::set_environment_type('dev'); to mysite/_config.php

Community Member, 541 Posts

3 August 2012 at 2:03am

The process I've used is copying the files over to the new server, running install.php using a new DB, the editing the _config.php to point to the imported DB

Community Member, 2 Posts

5 August 2012 at 10:05pm

This is what I keep getting.

I've tried using the method JAK pointed it out. Using a blank DB and editing after the fact.

that didn't work either.

I DL'd a new copy of silverstripe and it seems i'm dealing with an older version. Sorry never dealt with this CMS where can I find the version #?

Community Member, 541 Posts

5 August 2012 at 11:35pm

Well that's just a depreciation warning. Shouldn't be causing an error, you should get more detail if you add ?is_dev=1 to the end of your URL. This will force it into dev mode and I've explicit errors.

Community Member, 46 Posts

6 August 2012 at 1:15am

If you are trying to move an existing site, you are probably running a version of 2.4. In this case, you will see the version information in the back end (/admin) at the bottom of the screen.

The most recent 2.4 version is 2.4.7, you can download it at or at

For the moment I would recommend to stay at 2.4, 3.0 is a big upgrade and that version (currently 3.0.1) still has some bugs.

Community Member, 107 Posts

6 August 2012 at 5:35am

Try the following:
1 - after moving all files to the new server , upload a copy of the old database to the new server too
2- use install.php & put in the info of the uploaded DB .

Community Member, 9 Posts

21 December 2013 at 11:15pm

Hi everyone,

I'm getting this error while installing silverstripe on webserver. Can any one please help me?

Installing SilverStripe...
I am now running through the installation steps (this should take about 30 seconds)

If you receive a fatal error, refresh this page to continue the installation

Setting up 'mysite/_config.php'...
Setting up /var/www/html/index/rtbi/silver-rtbi/mysite/_config.php
Setting up '.htaccess' file...
Setting up /var/www/html/index/rtbi/silver-rtbi/.htaccess
Building database schema...
Creating default CMS admin account...
Creating initial filesystem assets...
Checking that friendly URLs work...
Friendly URLs are not working. This is most likely because a rewrite module isn't configured correctly on your site. You may need to get your web host or server administrator to do this for you:
mod_rewrite or other rewrite module is enabled on your web server
AllowOverride All is set for the directory where SilverStripe is installed

Go to Top