Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

fileinfo should be enabled in PHP - false positive?

Go to End

10 Posts   11237 Views

Spaghetti

Community Member, 32 Posts

4 September 2012 at 7:22am

When I try to install SilverStripe 3 on my hosting I get this warning:

fileinfo should be enabled in PHP. SilverStripe uses it for MIME type detection of files. SilverStripe will still operate, but email attachments and sending files to browser (e.g. export data to CSV) may not work correctly without finfo.

Support has told me that fileinfo is no longer a module and is built into PHP? I can't see it in the list of modules in phpinfo().

Is this a bug with SS (i.e. is it wrongly reporting an error) or is it a configuration issue?

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

14 January 2013 at 11:51am

I've got the same thing - not sure if it's a true 'error' as my SilverStripe install still installs and 'runs' - by which I mean I get a site, I can load themes, etc. However I'm encountering errors when writing new content to the database... don't think this is related to this issue however?

Did you complete your install? Were there any further errors from this point?

Spaghetti

Community Member, 32 Posts

14 January 2013 at 12:29pm

I completed my install and everything seemed to work fine. I suspect the installer hasn't been updated in line with PHP, so it's a false positive in that regard.

Hery

Community Member, 14 Posts

16 January 2013 at 8:35pm

I also get the same problem, there are some things I can not do this as a result of problems displaying video and probably many more problems that I know of yet.

sunilk

Community Member, 1 Post

18 January 2013 at 8:45am

go to your php.ini file and uncomment extension extension=php_fileinfo.dll and restart your services.

mhdesign

18 January 2013 at 2:23pm

I found this file as part of my test server setup, not SilverStripe. Couldn't find this line in the file (assume the comment is a ; preceding the rule)? I set this line up as a new rule, to no avail.

Cgull

Community Member, 23 Posts

23 January 2013 at 8:43pm

Just developing my first site with silverstripe.

Is fileinfo really neccesery? I need a form where users should attach files to the email will that not work without fileinfo?

My host says they will need to put my site down for a while to install fileinfo, this might be a big issue for me and I'll might stop using silverstripe so need to know urgently if that's a problem.

Can someone please help?

mhdesign

23 January 2013 at 10:15pm

All that I can say is that this never happened with older versions of SilverStripe. What's going on guys?

Go to Top