Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

PHP Version Question and SilverStripe 2.x 3.x

3 Posts   659 Views

Pix

Community Member, 153 Posts

9 January 2013 at 8:34am

Edited: 09/01/2013 8:55am

Currently I am running PHP version 5.3.3 and I get the SilverStripe 3 installation warning:

Upgrading to at least PHP version 5.3.4 is recommended.
SilverStripe should run, but you may run into issues. Future releases may require a later version of PHP.

That does not make me feel too comfortable :0)

The server is running Centos 5.8, and by means of any repo it seems almost impossible to update PHP 5.3.3 to a minor of 5.3 beyond 5.3.3. I can however upgrade to PHP 5.4.1, which would be good except the server is also hosting a site running SilverStripe 2.4.7 and I heard that SilverStripe 2.4.x is not happy with PHP 5.4

I'm in a fix. So now what? Should I ignore the warning and hope that the SS3 installation is happy with PHP 5.3.3? Should I upgrade to PHP 5.4.1 and hope I don't blow up the site with SS 2.4.7?

Thanks,
Pix v9.9.9

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

9 January 2013 at 9:42am

PHP 5.3.3 should work fine, I'd suggest giving it a go and seeing how you get on.

There are minor differences, and to be honest they shouldn't be a huge deal.
Most Debian Linux "squeeze" servers, which are quite common, still use PHP 5.3.3 as well.

Sean

Pix

Community Member, 153 Posts

24 January 2013 at 7:04am

Hi Sean,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'd say it's working great, installation went smooth and I have a basic site built using SS3! Love the new admin, everything, awesome!!!! But.......for some reason the 2.4.7 site which the server is also running seems a little snappier, a little faster even though it is much more complex :0(

Is 3 actually a little slower? Or perhaps I don't have something configured correctly or am just plain crazy (highly possible on both accounts).

Thanks,
Pix v10.0.1