Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to Install SilverStripe on Yahoo! Webhosting Server

Go to End

jrobida999

Community Member, 10 Posts

14 January 2013 at 7:26pm

Edited: 14/01/2013 7:29pm

Hey everyone!

I know that I had an extremely difficult time trying to get SilverStripe installed on my client's previously existing Yahoo! Small Business shared hosting server. I did finally get it up and running this afternoon. Please keep in mind that I haven't played with it much since I got it installed so there may very well be things that pop up for you that I haven't or won't encounter.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO ON YOUR SERVER OR TO YOUR SITE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. ALSO, AFTER INSTALLING SS IT HAS BEEN DISCOVERED THAT YAHOO! SMALL BUSINESS WILL NOT ENABLE YOU TO MODIFY THE .HTACCESS FILE. THEY ALSO WILL NOT MODIFY IT FOR YOU.

If you are ok with not being able to enable mod_rewrite then continue with these steps. I am stuck dealing with crappy URLs for now until my client and I decide on a new hosting provider. It's sad. As big of a company as Yahoo! is I expected them to be more accomodating. Especially since my client has been with them since September 2004. I'm really disappointed in them.

• 1) Download the ZIP version of SilverStripe CMS

• 2) Using a text editor of your choice copy and paste the following code into a new file and save the file as "unzip.php" IMPORTANT: DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE your-silverstripe-package.zip AND your_directory_of_choice TO THE NAMES OF YOUR RESPECTIVE FILES!!!

<?php

$zip = new ZipArchive;

if ($zip->open('your-silverstripe-package.zip') === TRUE) {

$zip->extractTo('/your_directory_of_choice/');

$zip->close();

echo 'ok';

} else {

echo 'failed';

}

?>

• 3) Create a new directory on your site (i.e. yoursite.com/your_directory_of_choice/)

• 4) Using an FTP program of your choice upload the zipped SilverStripe package and the unzip.php file to your newly created directory

• 5) In your browser navigate to yoursite.com/your_directory_of_choice/unzip.php

• 6) Your SilverStripe package should be unzipped when your screen shows (very modestly might I add) "ok" on the upper left corner of the window.

• 7) If necessary, use phpMyAdmin or another utility in Yahoo! to create the mySql database your SS install will use

• 8) In your browser navigate to yoursite.com/your_directory_of_choice/

• 9) Your SilverStripe package should install automatically when you navigate to this location.

• 10) When your SilverStripe package informs you of the database errors change the database hostname to "mysql" and enter your database name and login credentials

• 11) Use the SilverStripe install page to input your default administrator email address and password. Several other warnings will appear and as far as I know there is little to nothing that can be done about them because of the limitations (as noted above) created by Yahoo! Small Business.

• 12) Continue and complete the installation.

At this point you can navigate to yoursite.com/your_directory_of_choice/ which will be the default SilverStripe page with links to the CMS and help documentation.

It is also at this point that my experience and expertise end. Hopefully you will find this useful as I scoured the web for DAYS trying to find something like this that would help me install SS on Yahoo! Small Business Webhosting Server. I only want to help others who can't FTP the unzipped package directly to Yahoo! servers.

Don't hesitate to leave comments on this post if you have kudos, comments, additional helpful info, questions, or concerns. Thanks!

-Jake