Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Installing SS3 on FastCGI because of permission problems?

3 Posts   437 Views

LinseyM

Community Member, 99 Posts

15 April 2013 at 9:23pm

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can answer this query before I proceed with this, and possibly cause myself a world of pain!

I'm on a VPS with Namesco and I have no problem setting up & installing SS using the Apache module. However, I've realised that when the system creates a directory folder (such as left&main) I am unable to delete it via FTP or the control panel, and I have to email support and get them to remove it for me. The support team told me that it is because when Apache creates the file / directory, it becomes the owner. They suggested in my hosting I set up using FastCGI instead of Apache as in most cases this will run the scripts as the script owner, and circumvent this problem.

However, I'm a bit worried about trying to run it in FastCGI as I've never done it before and I really don't have time to try and pick my way through an installation if it doesn't go smoothly.

So, 2 questions really:

1) Is there any other way to stop apache from claiming ownership of the dirs it creates?

and

2) if not, is it a relatively pain-free process to run SS3 on FastCGI instead of the preferred Apache module? What are the issues, if any? (I had a look at the docs but could only find info on lighttpd)

Thanks as always for your feedback,

L x

LinseyM

Community Member, 99 Posts

15 April 2013 at 11:23pm

Right away I'm having installation problems: cannot write to /tmp/silverstripe-cache as it needs to be writeable / is owned by Apache.

I've got a cache folder in the root, which is writeable, but clearly that's not what is being referenced here. Argh!

(if I change hosting over to Apache then recheck the config then the error message disappears)

Fuzz10

Community Member, 787 Posts

17 April 2013 at 7:30pm

Hi Linsey,

Running SS in FastCGI should not be a problem. For the same reason , we run all of our sites that way too....