Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Multiple installs conflicting because of silverstripe-cache

5 Posts   514 Views

Spaghetti

Community Member, 32 Posts

16 May 2013 at 2:47am

Edited: 17/05/2013 4:08am

I have a VPS with two vhosts and silverstripe 3 installed on one of them. I want to install silverstripe 3 on the other vhost too. Unfortunately the second site's install screen is telling me I can't install because it can't write to /tmp/silverstripe-cache.

It seems that the first install wrote the cache in /tmp/silverstripe-cache (i.e. literally the tmp directory under root and not under it's web area /var/,...../some domain/httpdocs/tmp/silverstripe-cache.

This is a problem because the second installation is blocked because of it.

So my question is this:

1. How can I change the location of the cache in an already installed and working sivlerstripe system.
2. How can I specify the location of the new cache?

i.e. I want each install's cache to be under it's web root and not the server root. Any ideas?

EDIT: or is it safe for both installations to use the same cache folder - assuming I can set the privileges properly?

2nd EDIT: I'm assuming it's safe. No problems so far.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

17 May 2013 at 7:56pm

Create a silverstripe-cache folder in each of your SilverStripe sites root folders. That will save you from writing to your /tmp/ folder.

Spaghetti

17 May 2013 at 8:26pm

Thanks Willr, can you do this retro-actively and still have it work? I really don't want to have to reinstall on live sites.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

17 May 2013 at 9:03pm

Yes, you can do this whenever you want. All you need to do after creating a new cache folder is run a dev/build?flush=all

Spaghetti

17 May 2013 at 9:04pm

Excellent, thanks :)