Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

SS3 install: No theme, Very slow

Go to End

10 Posts   1586 Views

mikeshow

Community Member, 5 Posts

3 November 2013 at 1:39am

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded the zip archive for Windows. Created a MySql database, run the website without having done any modification to the package. The install went with no problem. At the end I got the welcome page with the message "installation successful!".

Problem is:

- the pages have white background and just text, no theme.
- the site is eeeeexxxxxtttttrrrrreeeeemmmmmeeeeelllllyyyyy ssssslllllooooowwwww. 15 seconds to display a page.

My config: Windows 8.0 Pro 64bit / IIS8 / SilverStripe 3.1.1 / MySql 5.6.11 (innodb engine) / PHP 5.5.3 nts Win32 VC11 / PHP XDebug 2.2.3 5.5 VC11 nts.

Note that I run Wordpress 3.5.1 and Concrete5 5.6.2.1 with no problem.

I hope someone knows what has to be configured because I spent hours trying to find an answer browsing the Internet and found nothing, which is not very encouraging cause I can't believe I'm the only one with that config having that problem.

PS: I did find the thing about the directory write rights, I have modified the rights of the /assets dir with no changes, I even went to give full control to the entire hierarchy with no more luck.

Thanks.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

4 November 2013 at 11:44am

Edited: 04/11/2013 11:45am

Have you tried using "127.0.0.1" as the database server instead of "localhost"? Sounds like DNS resolution issues, maybe.

Also, just to confirm, IIS/PHP is able to create a silverstripe-cache folder somewhere in C:\Windows\Temp correctly?

mikeshow

5 November 2013 at 1:29am

Edited: 05/11/2013 1:34am

Hi,

By default I use '127.0.0.1' instead of 'localhost' as I discovered that it is what works with concrete5.
And yes the 'silverstripe-cache' dir is created in 'windows/temp' and empty.

Sean

5 November 2013 at 9:46am

There should be another dir in the temp folder called "silverstripe-cache-Cinetpub-wwwroot" for example.
Do you see that? It should have cache files generated by SilverStripe.

mikeshow

5 November 2013 at 8:39pm

Hi Sean,

I don't have that other directory.

Sean

6 November 2013 at 9:27am

Edited: 06/11/2013 9:27am

Sounds like the SS temp dir wasn't created correctly, or is re-generating each request, hence the slowness.

Try adding a "silverstripe-cache" directory into the directory where SilverStripe was installed. Then give this directory write permissions for IIS.

Sean

mikeshow

6 November 2013 at 8:51pm

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the help, but no change. Don't waste any time with me, I give up with SilverStripe and move onto something else.

Mike.

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 188 Posts

18 November 2013 at 7:53pm

Edited: 18/11/2013 7:53pm

Hey Mike,

Just an idea, unless you absolutely have to use IIS, have a go at running SilverStripe on a virtual box with a linux VM. https://www.virtualbox.org/ Found that was always a handy way to do some development work on SilverStripe when on a windows box. Depends on the intended end server of course though.

Go to Top