Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

System Files Outside Web Root

Go to End

3 Posts   2508 Views

msgro_uk

Community Member, 1 Post

4 March 2009 at 10:31am

Hi all,

I discovered SilverStripe a couple of days ago, and it looks superb. A nice, intuitive but powerful CMS, with an MVC framework for extending the core functionality. Great stuff!

Anyway, I digress. The reason I'm posting is because I'd like to know if there's a way of installing the SilverStripe system files outside of my document root, ensuring that only the bare minimum of files are available via direct HTTP requests. (I've read in relation to other MVC frameworks that this approach is considered to be a security best practice.)

So far I've tried installing the entire system within my document root using the install script, then moving all the files except .htaccess into a folder parallel to my document root (say "SilverStripeSystem"), then editing the following line in .htaccess:

RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

to read:

RewriteRule .* ../SilverStripeSystem/sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

This seems to pick up the template correctly, but returns a "page not found" message instead of the page content.

To rectify this, I tried editing SilverStripeSystem/sapphire/core/Core.php, changing the line:

define('BASE_URL', dirname(dirname($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'])));

to

define('BASE_URL', '/SilverStripeSystem');

This caused the page content to be returned correctly, but the internal URLs were pointing to my SilverStripeSystem folder instead of my document root when rendered into HTML. At that point, I thought I'd seek help!

None of this is particularly urgent, of course, and I can just put the entire SilverStripe folder inside my document root if need be. However, if it's possible to achieve the configuration I'm outlining, I'd be particularly pleased.

Would it be worth adding a feature in the install script in a future version to allow the system files to be stored in a location of the user's choice?

Thanks.

Martin.

alexyoungs

Community Member, 5 Posts

31 August 2012 at 8:44pm

Hi Martin,

Did you get any further with this or get any advice from anywhere else? It's something that I'm interested in figuring out as well and if I can avoid spending a day or more hunting through the core to figure out what needs editing that would be preferable!

Cheers,

Alex

Martin D.

Community Member, 21 Posts

15 November 2013 at 5:26pm

Any update on the subject?