Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Mysql database naming

Go to End

5 Posts   2360 Views

Kate

Community Member, 16 Posts

14 May 2009 at 6:32pm

I am trying to understand if I need to have "SS_" as a prefix in the database name? If so my server is making me use "lasergra" as a prefix and I so I chose "lasergraphfr". While installing on the server (http://www.lasergraph.fr/SS/install.php) I can get it to accept only "lasergraphfr" to replace SS_mysite and not SS_lasergraphfr. Also does SS need a dedicated database to make it work? Or can something else be using it?

Thanks, this is all new to me. Designer brain....stretching to the other side.

rbquirke

Community Member, 70 Posts

14 May 2009 at 8:53pm

Hi Kate

No, you don't need a prefix for the database name, it should take anything you put in there.
Your problem might be that you should create the database before installing SilverStripe - the installation script might not have rights on your hosting to create a new database.

Go to your hosting control panel, either create a new database name or use check the name of an existing one and enter that into the installation page.

SS doesn't need a dedicated database of it's own. Everything should be ok provided there are no tables in the existing database that SS needs to create. eg: you already have a "Member" table, but silverstripe tries to create a "Member" table when installing.

Kate

14 May 2009 at 9:43pm

Thank you for the quick response. I had a problem getting my content and theme to show up after the first install and I assumed it was the Mysql database. After uninstalling and reinstalling it seems to be working and even remembering the SS_mysite.sql I imported on the server's phpmyadmin! Still don't know what didn't work the first time, but it all looks good so far.

Kate

14 May 2009 at 9:53pm

I spoke too soon. SS got installed with success and even imported the SS_mysite.sql DB from my first installation of SS. When I tried to upload my own local files from the "mysite" folder I get the following error screen. (See attached file).

Attached Files
rbquirke

Community Member, 70 Posts

14 May 2009 at 10:10pm

ok, that is because in the mysite folder, there is a _config.php file - this has the database connection details.
When you uploaded the mysite folder, the _config.php file for your local computer had different username, password etc.

Install again and this time when you upload the mysite folder, don't upload _config.php : you are nearly there!