Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Documentation Sucks for newbies

Go to End

7 Posts   2634 Views

Gravitational FX

Community Member, 22 Posts

22 June 2009 at 11:42am

I'm quickly loosing confidence in being able to create websites in SS because of the poor documentation.

I can't seem to get modules such as Newsletter or Gallery working. I'm sure if there was bettwer documentation then I'd be able to get it all up and running.

Things that are missing as regards to documentation are:
Where exactly do you place the extraced folders and files
What do you need to rename (a lot of support docs say "oh - you need to rename the folder blah blah..)
Which file do you need to edit to include the updates (_config.php - but which one in which folder structure)
Which release of SS does a particular module support
What are the latest trunk releases and where do you extract the files to?

Screen dumps of the major steps would be very welcome.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

22 June 2009 at 2:53pm

I agree that it would be great to get these modules to a more polished state. However, the lack of documentation is one of the reasons why those modules are listed in the "unsupported modules" section.

Realistically, getting these modules more polished in the near future is probably only going to happen if someone puts up their hand and offers to do this work.

If anyone is interested, posting to http://groups.google.com/group/silverstripe-dev would be appropriate.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 June 2009 at 5:49pm

Where exactly do you place the extraced folders and files. What do you need to rename (a lot of support docs say "oh - you need to rename the folder blah blah..)

There is no general 'How to Install Modules' page with 'Just extract it to the root folder, heres a screenshot of what the folder structure should look like'. Its really straightforward but if you have never done it before you still have to find out somewhere. Each INSTALL file contains the instructions but it would be handy to just have a global install info page. I might knock one up tonight.

Gravitational FX

23 June 2009 at 10:43am

A general "How to install modules and trunk builds" would be very very helpful.

Thanks for your reply.

Gravitational FX

23 June 2009 at 10:49am

Hi Sam..

I don't mind writing up some documentation on how to use the modules etc. if this is all that's standing in the way of them being supported modules.

At the moment, I'm going to be using the newsletter, gallery and google analytics modules or code to implement some websites.
Let me know what I would need to do to help contribute.

Regards,
Wil.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 June 2009 at 5:37pm

I have started a basic overview to installing modules on the wiki - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=installing-modules

If I have missed anything or you believe a part could be expanded on / tidied up I fully recommend you add your thoughts to that installation page.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

23 June 2009 at 7:38pm

Thanks for the offer to help with docs, Gravitational FX.

The following wiki pages provide the documentation as it currently stands:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:newsletter
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:googleanalytics

You can sign up for an account on the wiki to edit those pages.

As for whether that's all that stands in the way of them being supported modules, well, no, it isn't - you also need someone who is going to fix bugs, etc! However, we are trying to find a maintainer for the googleanalytics and newsletter modules right now.