Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe on IIS 6.0 with Helicon ISAP Rewrite 3

Go to End

6 Posts   4311 Views

xterso

Community Member, 6 Posts

5 July 2009 at 9:57am

Edited: 05/07/2009 9:58am

Hello,

I want to use Silverstripe on a shared hosting. Helicone ISAPI Rewrite is installed on the server. When I try to install Silverstripe I get the following error;

Friendly URLs are not working. This is most likely because mod_rewrite isn't configuredcorrectly on your site. Please check the following things in your Apache configuration; you may need to get your web host or server administrator to do this for you:
mod_rewrite is enabled
AllowOverride All is set for your directory

Although I get this error, I can go to the home page of the website. But only the "Home page" since URL Rewrite is not functioning I guess because every menu button is opening the home page only and there is no CMS login page etc.

I have contacted to the hosting company. They told me that Helicon is fully compatible with apache mod_rewrite. Then I have googled a bit and found the following article on Helicon's web page;

http://www.helicontech.com/articles/ss.htm

Actually, SE-friendly feature is enabled by default. But SilverStripe does not originally support IIS and ISAPI_Rewrite. On the first page of the installation you may see this text:

Picture 1. Information messages in the installation.
If you open your web-site after SilverStripe installation, you will see the note that mod_rewrite is not enabled. Actually, SilverStripe tries to find mod_rewrite (only), and if the search is sucessfull, SilverStripe automatically creates rules in .htaccess file, and you get CMS working with SE-friendly URLs!

Thus under IIS we need to do some hacking. Let's just disable the check for mod_rewrite.
Please go to SilverStripe installation folder and open rewritetest.php file. Please find this code:

$testrewriting = file_get_contents($location);

if($testrewriting == 'OK') {
return true;
}And comment is out as follows:

//$testrewriting = file_get_contents($location);

//if($testrewriting == 'OK') {
return true;
//}

Of course this article is about Silverstripe 2.2.2 but I think this doesn't matter. This article didn't help me anyway.

So far, I cannot install silverstripe correctly on ISS 6.0 with Helicon ISAPI Rewrite on a Windows 2003 Server.

Hosting company is open for any advice if there is a way to correct this problem on the server if it is a IIS or Helicon related problem.

Any advice, help is very much appreciated.

xterso

5 July 2009 at 12:09pm

Edited: 05/07/2009 12:12pm

Replying my own question;

I found something. Please check this article;

http://cubiksoundz.blogspot.com/2008/12/tech-note-installing-silverstripe-cms.html

I have changed the install.php according to this article. Removed the following lines from install.php which is added to .htaccess file during the file creation;

<Files *.ss>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Files>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
$baseClause

Voila! Installation was successful! URL Rewrite is working, contact-us, about-us links work great!

But.. now there are some other problems;

1. Admin link doesn't work. Even the link http://www.barakahost.com/sapphire/main.php?url=main is not working at all.

2. I can access the login page via the link " http://www.barakahost.com/Security/login " but after entering password it just waits for a long time and I get the error "CGI Timeout. The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process."

And I can't go further. Installation is done, some URL rewrite works but not all.

Would you help me guys to go further and solve this problem?

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

6 July 2009 at 1:46pm

Did you modify the rewriting rules in exactly the way described on that tutorial, or did you just delete the line? There was a % that needed to be changed to a $....

xterso

20 October 2009 at 11:40am

Hello,

I had given up after trying a lot of times with the silverstripe v2.3.2 and given myself a long break . Now I tried it with 2.3.3 and no luck. Nothing changed so far.

Replying your question;

No, I didn't delete the line, just modified it according to the tutorial. here is my .htaccess file.

### SILVERSTRIPE START ###
<Files *.ss>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Files>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.gif$)|(\.jpg$)|(\.png$)|(\.css$)|(\.js$)

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule (.*) sapphire/main.php?url=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]
</IfModule>
### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

As you can see, the only difference is in the last rewriterule, changed .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1 into (.*) sapphire/main.php?url=$1

That's it. Installation works, but admin link doesn't!

By the way, the site is on a shared hosting. If this will help.

For now, I am done that I am not able to go further from here. Any help would be appreciated from anybody who could install silverstripe on a shared windows hosting and make it really work.

Hope there is someone out there. :)

DennisNissen

Community Member, 1 Post

5 August 2010 at 9:07pm

Dirty walkaround :

make sure you turned off php error display and put this line into your sapphire/main.php below "Session::start" :

echo " ";

:) ... works for me.

xterso

8 August 2010 at 10:33pm

Edited: 08/08/2010 10:35pm

Hello,

Thanks for reply. I had given up fighting with the installation of silverstripe quite a long time ago because I thought it would never work on a shared hosting.

I tried your advices, my friend, unfortunately helpless. This silverstripe is stable, works fine on a local server but unfortunately not on a shared hosting. At least it didn't work work for me on several shared hostings I tried on.

And apparently, the developers of silverstripe doesn't care much about that. Anyway, as I said I have already given up and been using other free and much more stable tools.

Thanks anyway.