Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Instal Failure

Go to End

12 Posts   5075 Views

jezatron

Community Member, 7 Posts

9 July 2009 at 11:27am

Im really gutted as was excited when i stumbled accross silverstripe and hoped it was what i had been looking for. I cant even get it to install though unfortunately :(

I am using a linux server .....

PHP5 installed OK (PHP version 5.2.6)
GD2 support OK
XML support OK
MySQL support OK
Memory allocated (PHP config option 'memory_limit') OK (64M)
Check that certain classes haven't been defined by PHP plugins OK

I get the following warnings....

Is the .htaccess file writeable? User 'domain2275394' needs to be able to write to this file:
/home/URL.com/user/htdocs/.htaccess

The file is currently owned by 'root'. There is no user-group that contains both the web-server user and the owner of this file. Change the ownership of the file, create a new group, or temporarily make the file writeable by everyone during the install process.

Server software I can't tell what webserver you are running. Without Apache I can't tell if mod_rewrite is enabled.
mod_rewrite enabled I can't tell whether mod_rewrite is running. You may need to configure a rewriting rule yourself.

1 - i can create an empty text file, set permissions and refresh and warning for this goes away... however i cant shake number 2. when i go through the install it crashes and i get 500 server error, and then blank pages for /admin etc

I am a designer and so am not too clever on stuff beyond css, but have have managed to install other cms that seemed less user friendly before so im really gutted about this.. can anyone tell me what i need to do? is there specific mod rewrite / .htaccess for this cms?

jezatron

9 July 2009 at 11:30am

can anyone break down the install process a little for me? because 'bung the files on the server and go to your homepage' is cool if it works but when it doesn't retards like me are stuck

thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 July 2009 at 6:43pm

install it crashes and i get 500 server error, and then blank pages for /admin etc

Can you see what the error message is? Should be in your apache error logs. You may not have mod_rewrite enabled in your apache config

jezatron

9 July 2009 at 8:35pm

i definately have mod rewrite enabled have checked that with hosts.

here's the error log bits, and then what it said once i had tried to resolve it. I might wipe and try install again and try and get you guys to talk me through... if thats ok? im sure this should be soo easy but its bugging out

[Wed Jul 8 22:20:29 2009] [error] [client 82.20.237.242] FastCGI: server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi" stderr: PHP Warning: fileowner() [<a href='function.fileowner'>function.fileowner</a>]: stat failed for /home/url.com/user/htdocs/.htaccess in /home/url.com/user/htdocs/install.php on line 414
[Wed Jul 8 22:20:29 2009] [alert] [client 82.20.237.242] /home/url.com/user/htdocs/sapphire/.htaccess: order not allowed here

[Wed Jul 8 22:43:00 2009] [alert] [client 82.20.237.242] /home/url.com/user/htdocs/.htaccess: order not allowed here

Willr

9 July 2009 at 9:11pm

Looks like you do not have AllowOveride on though :(

jezatron

9 July 2009 at 9:39pm

what does that mean?

i managed to install cmsms but wasnt impressed by some aspects. i got mod-rewrite working on that for clean urls.... but im very sketchy on knowledge of all this stuff as i am a designer

Willr

9 July 2009 at 9:43pm

Make sure in your http.conf file (most shared hosts won't let you change this) needs to be AllowOverride All rather then AllowOverride None. See http://silverstripe.org/installing-silverstripe/show/251626?start=0#post251663 and the last post - http://silverstripe.org/installing-silverstripe/show/251626?start=0#post251750 you will need to get your host to change this setting for you

jezatron

9 July 2009 at 10:13pm

k thanks i will check on this with my host and then try and re-install, and post progress / questions here.

Go to Top