Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Blank Page

Go to End

6 Posts   3304 Views

seirios

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 September 2009 at 10:30am

Edited: 11/09/2009 11:02am

Hi there. First post here, greetings to all.

I am experiencing a weird problem here and I would like you to help me determine its cause if possible.

I am running ss v2.3.2 and my website, after some modifications I've made to it, was up and running like a charm. I had been checking it daily and everything was right up to the par, but after about a week that I left it unattended I checked it and to my surprise I only got a blank page...

I haven't changed even a single line since the last time I checked and now all of a sudden whatever link I try I get a blank page and nothing else. I tried to put ss in dev mode, but that didn't change anything. Blank page still there. I can't log in into admin panel, and "?flush=1" doesn't seem to do anything. Blank page again.

The blank page is on firefox. I tried IE also and got a 500 Internal Server error. At first I thought it might be my shared webhost's problem being unresponsive but this doesn't seem to be the case, as I finally got one link to work from my site after all, the direct link of an image, which displays fine. Also ping and tracert complete successfully.

This being said, I still believe it's a problem from my webhost, but of a different nature, as I haven't changed anything. So I would like to ask you if you have any idea of what change might cause a problem like that. I am going to open a support ticket asap, asking them if there's something wrong, but I would like to know before hand what could it be and maybe what should I ask them to check.

Waiting for your reply.
Thank you in advance.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 September 2009 at 2:47pm

Do you have access to the Server Logs? The error should be in that file.

seirios

Community Member, 2 Posts

12 September 2009 at 2:34am

Thank you very much for the reply.

Luckily the support ticket did its job, as I got a reply from them telling me to check again after a while and now everything is back to normal. They didn't mention what went wrong, but to be honest I'm just happy that the problem was solved.

I hope that it won't happen again, but if it does this time I'll ask them for the server logs too.

Keep up the good work.

tchintchie

Community Member, 63 Posts

27 April 2011 at 9:05pm

Hi there!

I´m also very very new to Silverstripe. Got it installed locally with MAMP PRO and was currently working through the tutorials when I suddenly came across the blank page as well. All I did was a /dev/build (as required in the tut) and after that all was blank. No more access to the CMS or the published sites :-(
Since I´m working on MAMP I´m not sure about the server logs...or how they can help me (sorry complete noob)

any ideas what could be the cause or should i just be patient for the problem to solve itself (like seirios did)

kind regards

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

9 May 2011 at 6:31pm

According to the MAMP site the PHP error log is here:
/Applications/MAMP/logs/php_error.log
Have a look there for the cause of your blank page.

tchintchie

Community Member, 63 Posts

9 May 2011 at 9:35pm

thanks Bruce!

since this was only a test-website I simply re-installed everything (this time taking care of the magic_quotes to avoid all installation warnings) and never got a blank page since then *knocks on wood*