Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

IIS 7.5 Can't tell which server your using

Go to End

5 Posts   3793 Views

REC

Community Member, 4 Posts

13 September 2009 at 5:57am

I'm installing SilverStripe on IIS 7.5. I used your great instructions for installing on IIS, but.. On the install.php page I get a notice, under File Permissions, which says "The webserver user needs to be able to write to this file:
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SilverStripe\.htaccess". Under Server Configuration I get two notices. One says "I can't tell what webserver you are running. Without Apache I can't tell if mod_rewrite is enabled." The other says "I can't tell whether mod_rewrite is running. You may need to configure a rewriting rule yourself." I don't think it can identify that I'm using IIS v. 7.5. What do I do?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 September 2009 at 9:53am

Make sure you can write the .htaccess file as thats what the first error is reporting. If you cannot see the file turn hidden files and folders on and then try and set the write permissions.

With the other warnings - can you force the install (by clicking install). Installing could work fine it could just be the install script being a bit too zealous.

REC

13 September 2009 at 10:30am

Thanks for your quick reply.

The installation instructions at http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=installation-on-windows-manual-iis said to delete "Delete the .htaccess file - it’s only for Apache." So, I did.

Also, I don't see an install button to click on.

REC

REC

13 September 2009 at 4:04pm

I think I have it installed correctly now.
I restored the .htaccess file and reopened install.php. I still had the "I can't tell what webserver your using" notice but the install button was there so I took your advice and clicked on it. It installed. I'll try it out and see if everything works.
Thanks so much for your help.
You may want to have someone check the isntallation instructions I was following.
Thanks again.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

14 September 2009 at 11:33pm

Edited: 14/09/2009 11:36pm

Just tried installing SilverStripe 2.3 using IIS 7.5 on Windows 7 x64. Same problem - the .htaccess file has permission problems in the installer if you remove it.

I'll amend the instructions to not remove this file, leaving it there won't stop the site from working in IIS.

Sean