Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Problem installing (mac OSX 10.6 with built-in PHP)

7 Posts   3347 Views

ccburns

Community Member, 74 Posts

16 September 2009 at 11:47pm

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to SS, although I have quickly installed and played around with SS on a Linux server last month.

Now I am getting ready to seriously use it for a project so have decided to install it on my Mac 10.6. Unfortunately this time I am running into problems that I don't really know how to address.

The install starts (all of the install page config checks are green) fix the couple of access issues that the install suggests to fix. Then I click install and get a PHP date warning and then nothing. When I return to the root of the site it says - "The requested page couldn't be found."

I have included both the warning screen of the install and also the PHP information for the install.

I don't really know if my problem lies with the php config and the date setting specifically (but it says it is just a warning - not Fatal) or if the problem is something like mod_rewrite not being configured properly.

I am currently not using MAMP, although on my old machine I had the MAMP Pro licence so I can always install that if I absolutely have to. Although I would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

Any assistance or suggestion would be welcome.

Cheers,
Colin

Bruce B

Community Member, 145 Posts

17 September 2009 at 2:09pm

I'm not sure if this is your problem - the PHP info file was a bit hard to read. If you are getting the warning about setting a timezone, this is because it seems that PHP under Snow leopard is set to issue Strict errors. The fix is to edit the file etc/php.ini. You may need to create this file from php.ini.default. The line you need to change is:
;date.timezone =

I changed mine to:
date.timezone = Australia/ACT
but you will probably want to use your own timezone setting. Google 'php timezone'
(note ; removed from the start of the line)

I haven't installed a new site under Snow Leopard but my existing sites transferred over after a few teething troubles (like this one).

ccburns

17 September 2009 at 2:13pm

Thanks bruceb,

I had changed my php.ini etc, but the way PHP etc is set up under Mac OSX is a little confusing. I normally work on CentOS server. I have now installed MAMP and I am about it try installing SS. I will update the post later if this works smoothly.

Thanks for the email.

Cheers,
Colin

ccburns

17 September 2009 at 2:32pm

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update that I have now got this working correctly. I have installed MAMP and then had a few issues which I thought was mod_rewrite but it just turned out to be permissions of the folders. All installed and ready to start building ;)

I look forward to getting involved in the community. Hopefully I can find some ways to contribute.

Cheers,
Colin

frodeaux

Community Member, 15 Posts

18 October 2009 at 9:46am

I'm having the identical problem. I really
want to use the system's apache and PHP
rather than re-installing MAMP which I've
used but would rather not.

Has anyone been able to run SilverStripe
under OS-X 10.6 with its Apache and PHP5.3?

Bruce B

18 October 2009 at 11:10am

I have SS running happily under 10.6 using the standard Apache and PHP. Prior to Snow Leopard I was using a separate install of PHP because the previous OS X version didn't include GD.

The only 'gotchas' I had made notes on were the need to set the timezone in php.ini and a change to my.cnf to include the following line:
lower_case_table_names = 2
This was needed to to import MySQL files from other servers.

Let me know what problems you are having and I'll see if I can help.

Bruce B

18 October 2009 at 11:28am

frodeaux, I just saw your other post. Is there anything in your error log that gives a clue? I don't recall seeing this problem, or if I did it must have been quickly fixed. if I remember, I'll let you know.