Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Manual install of Silverstripe crashing and burning

Go to End

3 Posts   2034 Views

Joker

Community Member, 5 Posts

19 October 2009 at 4:16pm

So after much hair pulling with PHP and Fast CGI installs that don't configure themselves as advertised, I finally get to the point of attempting to run the Silverstripe/install.php.

In the first page, it asks for a user that is able to create databases. The silverstripeuser that it puts in by default does not appear to be able to do this. At all. Despite having set it up earlier in the install. So I put in the root user and password. When I re-check the requirements it seems to like the root user.

So then I tick the "That's OK, please re-install...." box and click "Install Silverstripe". It churns away for a few seconds then comes back with an error about not being able to create the databases. But it's using the silverstripeuser user! Not the root user that I specified in the form...

There's at least two things wrong here. It's not retaining the username that I specify, and the user that is specified does not have the correct permissions. I have followed the instructions on the page that talks about the steps required to set this up. But there are serious holes regarding the MySQL permissions set up. Presumably these users need some permissions created at install time...

Thanks for any help you can point at. Silverstripe seems like a useful CMS for some stuff I want to do, but at present it's so impossible to get working that I'm losing hope.

Before anyone asks, yes, I tried the MS WPI. It also failed miserably to get any of this stuff working. Terrible experience.

Thanks.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

19 October 2009 at 5:03pm

Maybe the installer is using the _config database user / pass (silverstripeuser) rather then the one you passed in the install.php. If you have a mysite/_config file check the database creds aren't already defined and if they are delete them and start again. Sounds like silverstripeuser doesn't have create database permissions so if you give that user those permissions it should be able to create the databases without any errors.

Joker

Community Member, 5 Posts

19 October 2009 at 7:04pm

Mmm.... There are no database credentials in the _config.php file. There are, however, such default credentials in the _ss_environment.php file in the silverstripe root directory.

i did some further tests with the silverstripeuser. I granted full CREATE permissions in MySQL, but when logged in as that user, it still refused to create the database. This was directly in MySQL. So there is something weird going on. I created the relevant database as root, and so I have a working (ish) installation of Silverstrip.

I think some of my frustration is that there is no indication that a user might need extra permissions. The instructions imply that all this is taken care of by Silverstrip or the installation process...

Thanks for the ideas.