Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Migrating a Site to Silverstripe /

What you need to know when migrating your existing site to SilverStripe.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Moving Silverstripe CMS to New PC

Go to End

3 Posts   3493 Views

Mohsin

Community Member, 2 Posts

28 August 2011 at 12:16pm

Hi

I started website development after long long time so was not sure which CMS to start working with after doing a thorough search i decided to choose Silverstripe. Its been almost a month since i have been using Silverstripe CMS and i am loving it already.

I will like to thank all the people associated with silverstripe developer community infect every single person who has put some input in this forum in answering all the qurries and giving value support to new and old users.

personally it has been great help i started with basic tutorial and now i have been able to create JScript qurries and add them to my website just by reading and guidence on tutorial and these forums. Many time during last month i get stupid error but by justing coming on this forum i was able to find the solutions without even publishing new Topic , which is great time saver.

before i get carried away my simple question is i almost finshed with my first website on SS it is running great luckily i have bought my new laptop yestreday and will like to transfer all my work from my old Laptop to new one as i am about to sell this laptop.

can any one please suggest if i install WAMP and SS on My new laptop and copy all the files from directory WWW of this laptop to new laptos WWW directory will this bring in all the pages and work i have done or i will have to make some changes to system settings, mysql , ?

i have more then 25pages in my first website so if this will work it will save me alot of time any suggestion or if there is any other way to do this task please comments .

Thanks
Mo.

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

30 August 2011 at 7:16pm

1. Backup your database to a sql file.
2. Copy your ss root folder to your new laptop. Make sure the permissions on the files are the same as before.
3. Create a new database on your new laptop and import the backed-up sql file.
4. Edit your _config.php to connect to the new database.
5. Run dev/build to make sure it works and is up to date.

That should be all!

Mohsin

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 August 2011 at 3:19am

Ryan
Thanks alot for the post, i followed your steps and i have manged to transfer the whole website to my new laptop. i did had some problem in the begning i was not droping the new DB already in new installation as it had the same name as my old DB but i managed it finally.

great.
cheers