Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Migrating a Site to Silverstripe /

What you need to know when migrating your existing site to SilverStripe.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

CSVBulkLoader

Go to End

14 Posts   8281 Views

pingu

Community Member, 75 Posts

11 May 2009 at 1:23pm

Edited: 11/05/2009 2:08pm

Has anyone used the CSVBulkLoader class to copy content into the sitetree? I have a scenario where I need to add existing content from a CSV into the site tree. I read in the archives that the CSVBulkLoader may do the trick - I've had a look at the class and it certainly looks useful.

However, I'm not sure how to use it in my case and would appreciate any pointers. I need to update data that already exists as pages in the SiteTree. For example, I have products in a catalogue, all of which exist within the CMS. Some properties of these products have since changed in the store. I have a CSV file where I need to match product codes and if the product exists, update it's information based on what's available in the CSV.

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

11 May 2009 at 8:27pm

We actually have two modules which are more geared towards the use case of importing hierarchical content.

# Static Importer
http://open.silverstripe.com/browser/modules/staticimporter/trunk
Crawls an existing site and parses certain properties through CSS Selectors

# Sitetree Importer
http://open.silverstripe.com/browser/modules/sitetreeimporter/trunk
Takes a tab-indented list of page names from a simple text file and transforms
it into a CMS tree.

Static Importer probably requires our newest release, if not trunk. Its fairly cutting edge,
although we're currently using it for migrating large websites (4000+ pages).

pingu

Community Member, 75 Posts

12 May 2009 at 9:55am

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the response. I believe the site is on the latest release (Version 2.3.1) - so static importer will work on this?
I will take a look at it now.

Thanks!

Yakiv

Community Member, 59 Posts

6 July 2009 at 8:52am

Hello, I am new to SilverStripe. I am loving it!

I am trying to do research on the StaticImporter. I see people on the forums recommending this module and how they are using it for clients. However, I do not see any documentation on the wiki's or on the forums on how to actually use it. It would be helpful if someone would take the time to explain point 1, point 2, point 3, etc., as to how to use it.

I did go into the /dev/ to see http://mysite/dev/viewcode/show/StaticImporter

I would be so appreciative if someone would take the time to document for me here how to use this module. My desire is to import about a 2500 page static site of mine, into SilverStripe.

Thanks!

Yakiv

7 July 2009 at 10:35pm

Edited: 07/07/2009 10:36pm

Is everyone on vacation? :-)

Yakiv

19 July 2009 at 10:25am

I did figure out on my own to use this:

http://localhost/StaticImporter/?url=/StaticImporter

But, I don't understand what to enter into: Start offset

and: Limit import to this many page

Am I understanding the module correctly? I can import an entire static site?

Can someone help with this. It would be great!

P.S. - I also notice it says, "Note: Please ensure that you log in as a special administrator user that is only used for performing imports. This will help us distinguish real page edits from imports, when you're performing repeat imports." Is there any further guidance on this special admin and how to set them up?

Yakiv

19 July 2009 at 10:28am

...As a side note, by the way, why is there a link above my posts - in the SilverStripe forum - to mark my own posts as spam? Is that a bug in the forums?

Yakiv

19 July 2009 at 3:49pm

If StaticImporter is being attempted from localhost, to import one of my sites that is on the web, should it work? What are the requirements? How to get it to work?

...If anyone knowledgeable on this subject is available, please speak up! I've been waiting almost two weeks now and no one responds. I thought SilverStripe was up-and-coming and popular. I hope I am not wrong!

Go to Top