Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Showcase Questions /

Feedback and questions about sites in the Community Showcase.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Greatful for SS 3.1

Go to End

3 Posts   2586 Views

gerrut

Community Member, 3 Posts

29 May 2013 at 11:36pm

I juist build a new website in Silverstripe 3, but after trying to run it on a commercial web host instead of my MacBook, the speed made me cry... And I often got a message like service disconnected from the shared hosting account (ultimate from Godaddy). This of course made me run some tests on the MacBook, which opened my eyes a bit: SS3 has really thousands upon thousands of requests to build the pages. It was clear that running the current site would not cut it. Luckily I read just in time that most problems should be solved in SS 3.1 in a post by Ingo Schommer.

As the site should be usable immediately, I had avoided the beta version before. The speed issue however made me change my mind. The upgrade was quite painless. I had to change all public statics such as $db to private statics, upgrade some modules that had 3.1 versions (and rewrite some too), change <% control in the templates and after about 2 hours all was set. Amazing. 70 per cent faster! It truly made my day.

The website by the way, now transferring to its final server and I will probably discover some glitches in the coming days, is www.energieprojecten.nl .

By the way, having recently bought a Windows RT device, I am also very happy with the backend. It works like a charm in both touch mode as well as with the keyboard of my Lenovo Yoga 11.

Keep up the good work folks!

alienn

Community Member, 15 Posts

26 September 2013 at 2:31am

how its go so far?
ss3.1 is ready for production use?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

28 September 2013 at 5:21pm

@alienn - We don't deploy 3.0 for the performance issues. Last 8 months we've only deployed 3.1 beta versions without any major issues (though we include test suites with our applications so the likelihood of breaking things is lower)